Did anybody do this?

Just curious if you took advantage and what you traded in and got to replace the cluncker. The only dealerships they mention here are Toyota and Ford and they didn't have matching funds. Wondering if the extra matching from Government Motors helped them any.

This article doesn't sound like it was really the success they are touting. At least it was full of the usual Government red tape.
I think they need to get caught up before they send anymore money out.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_cash_for_clunkers_what_happened

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:12 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We are planning to in the next week (if the program is still on). I just can't decide between the mazda 5 and the Scion. Leaning toward the Mazda.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• NO! Unfortunately my husband's work car a 99 Chrysler Sebring gets ONE MILE more per gallon than the cut off, and didn't qualify, and his 99 Pathfinder with 298,000 miles on it, that we use for Home Depot runs, didn't qualify, and we bought a 2009 Murano in December! Figures!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Be careful of using the site cars.gov if you do choose to use this program.

When you read the 'terms and conditions' portion, you are basically allowing the government unlimited access to your computer. The disclaimer actually states that your computer is the property of the government!

I'm not sure if the t & c are just badly worded, or if their is some psycho techie ready and poised to take over the world at this point, but I'd make sure that I used a public computer to complete my end of the deal.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The site says my Ford Escape gets an average of 19 mpg. Well, thats fine even though way wrong. I get 20 mpg in the city so it must be higher if you average in the higher highway miles. Anyway, I owe to much on mine because I financed it for 72 monts in '05 and it is worth more than $3500. Like the article said, I think a lot of people are not qualifying.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• We own a chev S10 (my hubs work vehicle) and my husband wants to do this but I dunno about it. I am half expecting to do it then if the recession lifts they come looking for money we magically owe. I have already had this happen once over a doctor bill that was over 13 years old and was paid by medicare when I was a child now they are calling saying it was never paid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Glenn Beck did a video about this..... Don't do it! Like lovingangels said, your computer will belong to the government.
    JonesboroGypsy

Answer by JonesboroGypsy at 6:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• No; although I want to trade in my car for a minivan, it is a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am. So not fit to be destroyed just yet, and all trade ins must be.
    SeanandNoahsmom

Answer by SeanandNoahsmom at 6:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Nope our cars are fine...IF I did do this it certainly would not be with government motors.When I purchase a car in the future it will be Ford.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. It is 15 years old.

When my husband cannot turn the wrenches to fix it I will be buying a FORD.

You can take your Government Motors and shove them so far up the pike theyll never come down again.
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have seriously thought about it. We have a 99 mitsubishi mirage two door. We need a van cause we have three kids and one on the way. I just don't know if we qualify or if we can afford a car payment. It sucks big time.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009