How do you lay a breastfed 10 month old in a crib without them waking up?

My daughter has coslept since she was two weeks old. I tried to lay her down during the day in her crib but she woke up and pitched a fit. when i wean her to whole milk in a few months i want her to start sleeping in her crib. Anyone else been through the same thing? what worked for you? any advice mommas?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 5:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is 7mo and BF also. I used to BF him to sleep, but I started to feed him right when he wakes up instead so he started getting tired on his own and not by BF.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You need to put them in the crib before they are sleeping. And there might be some crying until they are used to self soothing to sleep. You baby probably is breastfeeding to sleep (my guy always did too) and he would wake up everytime we put him in his crib and then frequently at night too. It didn't change until we changed his bed time routine (at around the same age) and then let him cry about it a little.... he never cried more than 8 minutes before laying down and going to sleep. Now we lay him down and he just goes right to sleep on his own and it only took 3 days of fussing
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Try to put her down while she is still drowsy, but you should probably expect a fight, because she is not used to it. Also, try to have the same routine every time you put her down. Sing the same song, (just a short one), or a short book, and kiss her, and tell her "goodnight", put her down and walk out of the room. If she starts to cry, walk back in, tell her good night again. tuck her in, and leave again. You might have to do this many times, since this is brand new for her. Hope you work it out somehow.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Her crib is beside my bed. She does have her own room but im not ready for her to sleep there alone yet. our rooms are at opposite ends of the trailer.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i have no idea..lol sorry my dd was BF and she co-slept with me just so i could get some sleep. i wish you good luck tho:)
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• she needs to learn to soothe herself to sleep. She needs to lay down awake so she knows where she is at. If you lay her asleep and she wakes she will just freak out and scream. I have co-slept with all 3 kids and had to go through the transition of getting them in thier beds. 10 mos is a good age to do this:) I did my younger two at 12mos. Then my son was harder because we weren't too consistant and he is the oldest! He was started at 10 mos but again we made lost of mistakes! Needless to say we learned and fixed those issues with the younger two! LOL
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 7:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Get the book, "Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Babies" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. This is a great book and I highly recommend it. I make sure my son is totally asleep and then just roll him out of my arms and on to his side. I am going to start letting him fall asleep on his own when the hustle and bustle of the summer slows down and I can be consistant. That is the key.
    snugglybuggly

Answer by snugglybuggly at 2:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009