What are some tried-and-true things you do/use when your baby has a fever?

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 5:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• motrin and a cool bath
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Motrin, lukewarm bath, dress-down. Plus extra lovins from me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Depends on how old they are and how high the fever is. What age is your baby/child. Most fevers of under 101 I dont do anything unless they are not acting like themselves, sick, green stuff coming out there nose etc... That is a sign of infection and I go to the Dr. Like I said, it really depends.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Fever is 102. She's content, not too too fussy. Doctor says it's viral. She's almost 8 months.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 5:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I never give fever reducers, unless it's a very high fever and it's been more than 3 days. The fever is there for a reason. Other than that, I strip down to their underwear, give plenty of fluids and extra love...
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Motrin if your baby is over 6 months is the best for fevers.... otherwise Tyenol. And they can have both... so if you give motrin and retake the temp an hour later and it's still not on it's way down then give Tylenol. As long as it goes down it's fine. And if your child is acting fine don't worry too much about it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:02 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Keep up her fluids and keep an eye on how heavy her nappies are - I would even suggest keeping a diary of time/amount of liquid taken and time/wetness of nappy change. A record keeps your mind at ease if all is going well and provides a history should the doctor need it if she deteriorates.
    Dress her lightly and make sure your home is cool.
    If her fever spikes a bit, place her in a tepid/cool but not cold bath and keep pouring water over her.
    I only give medicine to reduce the fever if it steps up to the end range of what's acceptable as the fever is the bodies natural way to fight illness.
    Monitoring her fluid is the most important thing K.
    Good luck and I hope LL is better soon.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 6:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009