Is this rude when sending invitations to a birthday party...?

I hand delivered invitations to save myself on postage. My husband's grandma made the comment "sometimes people think thats rude." Then she added but I guess its ok with family. So is it rude to hand deliver invitations?

Also, Is it rude to send out invitations with less than 4 weeks notice? I ask this to because I ran out of invitation material (I handmake) and my mom said it was rude. I will not get to making them unitl after my vacation. The bday party is on 9/12 and I will not be back until 8/11. The late invitations are going to people from my dad's side of the family who have not kept in contact for more many years...

Supervane

Asked by Supervane at 6:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do not think any of that is rude. If people do not want to go they dont have to but at least they were invited right? 4 weeks is plenty if time, thats when I usually put mine in the mail. Because any sooner and people forget or lose the invitation and date.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• aA least 4 weeks is when they should go out but no later than 3. I don't think it was rude to hand deliver.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I don't understand how any of those is rude...
    No, it's not rude at all. I think it's very lovely.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Two weeks notice unless for a wedding is plenty. Hand delivering is fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think hand delivery is fine. I am sure they rather see you anyways. They say 3-4 weeks before the party date is preferred. So everything you are doing is fine. you mom may just be too old fashioned?
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Hell if hand delivering invitations is rude I must be horrible.. LOL I rarely send out actual invites I usually just call people and tell them. But then again I only invite immediate family and people I talk to often. I start telling people about 2 months in advance and then I remind them around 4 weeks and then once again a week or two before the actual party.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I must be horrible to! I hand delivered almost all of my kids invites. Shoot! I email the ones to our closest friends. I think 3 weeks notice is fine for a kids party. Maybe I'm just really that awful though. lol
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Oh jeez, I must be awful then! I have hand delivered literally every single one of my daughter's birthday invitations (she's turning 2 the end of this month) but it's only close family and friends being invited so I see them a lot anyways... 42 cents (or whatever its up to now...i rarely mail things) a pop adds up! Plus when I give them out in person, if there are any questions they can ask me right then and there.
    Pudge_Pie20

Answer by Pudge_Pie20 at 7:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Not rude at all. and I agree with jeanclaudia that two weeks, even, is fine, although I'd rather 3 or 4 weeks for myself. Longer than that and it can easily be forgotten.

Answer by Bmat at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Why would it be rude to hand deliver an invitation? I think its actually a step above mailing them!
    I think your time line for mailing them is fine too, after all they don't have to come, if they think its short notice. I prefer at least 2 weeks because my DH gets paid every two weeks. So its important to know so we can plan for a gift. But I know my DD's friends at school, you are lucky to get a week's notice.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 7:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009