when do you stop feeding formula and switch to baby food?

My boys are 5 months old and wont even take infant cereal. Does it come on its own? When do you completely stop formula and switch to "first foods" baby food and infant cereal? Do you only feed them 3 times a day?
Or 5 times a day like formula? Sorry guys, new time mom :)

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 6:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my 3 kids I started routinely feeding baby food at 6 months. They still had formula until 1yr old. They would eat the baby food about 2 times a day to start and increased when they were ready. Some babies dont really like or get used to eating food as early as others. You know your babies best so see what they want, if they still want bottles thats okay until around 6 or 7 months. Always feed them when they are hungry not a scheduled x amount a day.
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Well normally you continue to give a baby formula until their 12 months old. Most pediatricians recommend starting out with baby food at 6 months. It seems your boys might not be ready for food yet. Give it time, try again in a week or two. I gave my daughter just cereal for a week then switched it up with fruits and veggies. I would always wait 3 days in between new foods. You don't have to give them 3 meals a day when you start out. Food at this age is just practice and getting them use to different food taste and textures. Usually once their off formula is when they have actual 3 meals a day and you could do snacks too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my son is only 2 months old so i havent done it yet, but my best friend has a 2 year old daughter. she said she started feeding her baby food breakfast lunch and dinner when she was 4 months old. she said she is not overweight, has no food allergies or any problems - which is why the APA tells you that you should weight until 6 months, but the earliest 4 months. look it up in your search engine or ask your doctor, and then decide what you want to do.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 6:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• wow umm... where to start. You're"supposed" to continue formula feeding up to 2 years old no matter if their eating first foods or not. Stopping formula before one year can be (and is in some states) considered child neglect. There is no way your children can get all of the nutrients they need from simply 1st stage foods. If your child decides on their own to stop taking formula, there's really not much you can do about it. My son refused it after 11 months old. My son refused cereal until he was 7 months old but he loved bananas. Fruits are something good to try them on if they wont take grains. You must remember how bland plain grains are. Would you eat them? probably not. PM message if you need more advice.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 6:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You can start 1st foods at 4mos. Start with one new food at a time, trying a new one every 3-4 days (helps identify potential allergies/intolerances). After a couple of months, you can bump up to 2nd foods. They're just as strained, just larger portions. Once they start trying to "chew", then you can go to 3rds -- they're a little lumpy. I wouldn't recommend the baby meats, though -- they're REALLY nasty.

Continue formula until at least 12 mos... and beyond if you like. There's no cut-off date set in stone. Cereal - 2 of my kids liked it, 2 didn't. If you really want them on cereal, try adding a little baby fruit to it for flavor.

Once you start them on the baby foods, it should all come pretty naturally. You'll fall into a routine that works for you. It'll start off with more bottles than food & gradually become the opposite. Just follow your kids' signals. They'll let you know what they want.

G'luck!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Formula continues to 1 year old for sure then other milks can be started.

You can start baby food anytime you want now...cereal is kinda pointless anyways and you can get better nutrients from baby food anyways
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutrition/feeding_schedule_print.php
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• FORMULA FOR ONE YEAR. FORMULA IS STILL THE BABIES MAIN SOURCE OF NUTRITION
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

ACTUALLY FORMULA IS ONLY FOR ONE YEAR .THE NEXT STEP FORMULA HAS NO POINT TO IT.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I didn't start feeding my son solids until he was a little over 6 months old. At first he didn't like it, but so I waited a week and tried again. If your baby won't take cereal, start out with sweet potatoes. My son would not eat rice cereal but likes oatmeal and mixed grain. I also always mixed it with breastmilk, in your case formula. And you can also mix it with fruit bananas or pears or juice. I now mix his cereal with prune juice otherwise he gets backed up. However, even though you start feeding them solids, you need to keep giving them formula, that is the most important. They get a lot of vital nutrients and vitamins from formula and/or breastmilk that they need until they are at least 1 year old. Just make sure you start out slow. All changes when it comes to babies need to be slowly worked in. Good luck.
    snugglybuggly

Answer by snugglybuggly at 2:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009