What age should you start potty training? Also how long should the process take?

My son is now 17 months and will be 18 months in a week, should I start now especially since I'm 12 weeks pregnant?

davoucci23

Asked by davoucci23 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you can start im sure it will not hurt. but boys are usally harder then girls. so it may take until hes 3 sometimes 4
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i started my dd right after she turned 2 and it only took a month, GL it's not easy
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i stared my dd at 18 mts reason y i was preggo. i took my time but she was potty train by 2
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I tried to pt my dd at 18m, but she didn't want anything to do with it. I waited till she was 22m to try again. Then I had her trained in 3 days. She still wears pullups at night but we'll get that worked out eventually. As far as how long it will take, that depends on the child. I took my dd to the potty every 30 minutes and had her sit on it for 10 minutes each time. If she went I gave her a lot of praise, a sticker for her chart and some m&ms or a cookie. If she didn't go I praised her for a good try. I didn't give her anything extra to eat or drink to make her go. She just went when she had to go. On the third day she started going to the potty ever since and hasn't had an accident since.
    sweettigeress

Answer by sweettigeress at 10:13 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Ok my best advice is to start him NOW!! My youngest is 2 and a half. I have him almost potty trained. He will pee in the potty but not the other. I have been working with him since he was 20 months. He doesn't wet the bed and hasn't been in pullups for at 4 months.
    antionette84

Answer by antionette84 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009