Reading chapter books to younger kids.

How old was your child when you started reading chapter books out loud to them? I have tried to do so with my almost 5 year old and he won't have it. I have tried many different books but maybe not the right one yet. Any suggestions?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 7:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son who is 4 loves the Magic Tree House series. We normally just read one or two chapters at a time. We also have C.D.'s of that series and he enjoys listening to them at night right before he goes to bed. What are some of your child's interests? I might be able to suggest a good chapter book that he would enjoy.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My kids were listening to chapter books by the time they were 3-4. We're a homeschool family so we read all the time. When I read I give them crayons and ask them to draw me pictures of the story.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• lol he has no interest outside of video games, which by the way are limited to 30 in a day (everyone be nice ) He fluctuates between what he likes. Last week it was Buzz lightyear. this weeks it's Star wars. Next week it will be, I dunno, Wall-e again. You know now that I type this out I guess their is a reoccurring theme of robots and space huh?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would recommend the Magic School Bus series. It is not really chapter books but they are a bit longer than board and picture books. The key is to find something that your child enjoys and go from there.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Keep trying! Don't expect too much at that age, but if you don't start sometime, he'll never be interested in books.
    The video games are getting in the way of him learning how to sit still and pay attention for a length of time. This will interfere with his ability to succeed in school. My kids play video games but I try to limit it to 30 to 60 minutes a day. Some days they don't play at all. They never want to stop the games, but you have to set limits.
    Try to read to him when he is winding down in bed at night. Make it a happy comfy ritual and he will think of reading as a comforting activity.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son is 5, and a few months ago I bought him his first chapter book to read out loud to him. It was a Magic Tree House, and the plan was to read a few chapters a night before bed. But he wouldn't hear of it. If I start a book, I have to finish the book. The older MTH books only take me about 30 minutes to read out loud, but the newer ones are longer. One time I was reading an hour and a half straight because he wouldn't let me put it down till the whole book had been read. So far we have gone thru about 12 MTH books. I would like to buy the whole series for him eventually. I've been buying him one or two a week, since the first one. He gets so excited every time he gets a new one. If you haven't tried these books yet, I strongly recommend them!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I think my son was about 3 when I started. He like Magic Tree House and a pet series one (can't remember the name of it though). Start out with about 15 minutes at a time or 1-2 Chapters and add time as his interest and attention span grows. Get books about things that interest him. A children's section of a bookstore has a ton of different chapter books.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• So these magic tree house books are they a series of random books or a series or books that you read in order? I noticed they were numbered when I looked them up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The first one explains about the magic tree house but after that it mainly concentrates on the story. The other ones will mention sometimes about how the Magic tree house was discovered. We read the first one and then afterwards I let my son pick out the ones that he wants to read about. Sometimes they are in order and sometimes he skips about 5 or 6 books in between.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I think I may try those. Maybe I'll get him one for his birthday. It's the end of this month.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009