Info On Premies

My sister's baby was a month early. 5 lbs 6 oz; born this morning at 9:59. They have him hooked up to IVs and aren't letting her feed him yet. They're keeping him in the nursery.
When will she be able to feed him. She's wanting to breastfeed. Will pumping right at the beginning end up ruining her milk supply?
They said if he needed to be sent to another hospital, it would be done before he was 6 hours old. He made it past that point.

allans_girl

Asked by allans_girl at 7:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was born 6 weeks early and weighed 5.5 ... i got to start pumping either the next day and then i think actually started breastfeeding the day after that. it worked out fine. she'll be good. she should just started pumping ASAP and bringing the milk over to the NICU and then they'll let her know when she can actually breastfeed him.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• not pumping right away will ruin her milk supply.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• even if she can only get a few drops it is important that she can give even that too him, that's what I did until my milk really came in to pump milk for my dd, she had to be fed through a tube and was hooked up to so many wires and tubes, she was only 2 pounds 3 ounces born at 26 weeks, and the few drops of colostrum if you can get it is vital for his health, good luck
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 7:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• no my daughter was born 9 weeks early and the lactation consultant from the NICU contacted me to have me start pumping immediately. however with a premie it is hard to get them to lact on so tell her not to get discouraged but start pumping now.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 7:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• also what sylvia ann said if you can swab there mouth witht the colustrum this will help the baby out tremindously.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 7:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would get her pumping ASAP. They will let him eat when they think he is ready... sometime depending on how he is doing... they don't eat by mouth for several days (they get food placed in the tummy by tube) But she needs to pump so if that turns out to be the case she can give him that rather than formula.
    But she should be asking these questions to the pediatrician or neonatoligist that is caring for him... they should let her know what the plan is. A lot of things are day by day though with a baby this age... you just have to see how they are doing. Some babys that are a month early are fine and go home a few days later and some take more time to mature outside the womb and might take a couple of weeks before they are well enough to go home.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• She needs to talk to her doctor. She should start pumping, the hospital has pumps to use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Ok, I just talked to her; they're going to set her up with a breast pump and they're going to let her try feeding him as soon as he seems hungry.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 7:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• They said he's doing really well; they had him on oxygen for less than an hour but he's been on his own all day and he's at 100%. They're talking about sending them home Tuesday or Wednesday.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 7:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yeah so if they have been giving bottles he can nurse...If I were her I would have somebodies job for not letting me nurse right off the bat...he's not hungry because they've pumped him full of formula CRAP in a can which has a HUGE warning on the side that its not safe for preemies becuase its not sterile....UGH I hate hospitals
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2009