Taking my 2 month old dd for her first shots tomorrow...anyone have any good tips?

I'm really not looking forward to this at all...looking for some ideas to make it easier on both of us!! Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• give her tylenol before you leave the house, it will help with the pain and fever.... most babies get over it realyl quick, just watch her for fever afterwards
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i just took my son for his shots a couple of weeks ago, and it really wasnt that bad. he was fine. the doc will give you a script for tylenol incase he has a fever, so you should have a thermomater and check for a fever for that night, my son never got one at all .. and that was it. he was a little more tired for the next couple of days.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:54 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Give her tylenol before you leave, and I always take a little sucker for my son when he gets his shots. When he was that little, I held it for him and just let him get a couple of licks.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 7:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• give tylenol about 10 mins before the shots, so it's already working. if you breastfeed, do so right after the shots, it will help baby feel better and less stressed. watch for a fever afterwards. I have always refused to do more than two shots at a time. I think any more than that is way too hard on a baby's body and immune system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• give some tylenol before you go and you will be more uoset than the baby as soon as you pick the baby up she should quit crying. the baby may be sore later that night and for the next couple of days just keep tylenol handy and dont be alarmed when she does run a little fever.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 7:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Also, warm baths will help with muscle soreness and you might want to take some lotion and gently massage over where the shots were given.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 7:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The best advice that I can give you is to make an informed decision about vaccinating.

Research the diseases your child is getting vaxxed for, the ingredients in the vaccines, percentages for risk of vaccine injury vs risk of disease injury, etc.

You do not HAVE to get those vaccines tomorrow. There is always next week. Please arm yourself with information. Your child's health is at risk either way you choose---but it pays to be informed.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I researched vaccinating my child. I work in the health profession and 99% of everyone I've talked to agrees that not vaccinating your child puts them at far greater risk than vaccinating. If you look at the correct data, children that are vaccinated have about the same chance of being diagnosed with autism as do children that are not. In some studies it has been found that children that are not vaccinated have a greater chance of being diagnosed. Do your own research but please make an informed decision.

As for the actual experience, a pacifier with a little sugar water usually distracts them enough. They will settle down after a few minutes. If you are really worried about it, your pedi can call in a script for a numbing cream that you rub on about an hour before the appointment. It's called EMLA. Call and ask the office nurse about it if you are interested.
    ktt0330

Answer by ktt0330 at 11:03 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I agree with having tylenol on hand, but don't give it before you go unless you know your baby's weight since it's concentrated. You can always give it right after your baby is weighed at the doctor's office. Or just wait and see how your baby reacts to the shots. My DD's leg got really red about an hour after she got her shot and I just put a cold compress on it and gave her tylenol then. Plan for lots of cuddle time afterwards....that mad me and my DD feel better about the whole ordeal. Good luck!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• FYI. . . I cried when my baby got his shots the first time. . . Tylenol is helpful (buy the dye free though because the pink stuff stains).
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009