Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

episiotomy or malpractice?

I had my first child a year ago. During child birth I felt my doctor went way to fast on the delivery process it was like he just wanted to get it over with. My doctor performed a episiotomy because he said the baby didnt want to come out. Im not a doctor but it seemed like he didnt even give it a chance. It was like he was scissor happy. He cut me so bad. Afterwards he told me to give it a chance and it would heal and look fine. I did every thing he told me to do in reguards to taking care of the incision. After about 3 months me and my husband were able to engage in sex. The lights were on and my husband was like omg what did they do to you. I am totally disfigured in my vaginal region. I talked to my doctor but he said it happens in childbirth. I know what i looked liked before down there. Now its just so nasty looking and I do not know what to do. Has anyother mom had to deal with that?

Answer Question

Asked by BlackMoonManor at 8:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • that can happen sometimes... whether he cut you and it did that or it tore itself and did that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • That can happen. I had one but I also tore a little further. I know a woman who was torn really bad on top of getting one.

    Answer by LaceyAM at 8:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • Holy crap girl! I'd get a second opinion even a third. I had a 4th degree episiotomy - it healed and you couldn't even tell that I'd had one. From the get-go the doctor told me that there should not be any significant scaring and there wasn't.

    Answer by PaceMyself at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • google pic of this subject and see if you can see what it is suppose to look like and see if you are correct in your thinking. Somethings do change after giving birth, some are more severe than others, but you wont know unless you get a second opinion.

    If you are disfigured, talk to someone and see if there is somethig you can do. I am sorry you are going throught this, it must be hard.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • thanks for all that answered.....i had what you would call a normal look down there.....i went to the doctor a month ago and told him that its still not looking any better....he told me thats kinda what comes with having children....i would like to go to another doctor to have them take a look and tell me if its normal or husband of course loves me for me and do i ever love my daughter and wouldnt change anything with her......but i cant help but be so angry over what i ended up looking like down there.

    Answer by BlackMoonManor at 8:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • You should be angry. Had the doctor not rushed as you said, and had they allowed your tissues to stretch naturally you very likely wouldn't have torn at all. Definitely get a second opinion. Mutilated genitals don't come as a childbirth package. Keep fighting.

    Answer by amileegirl at 9:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • I would see another dr for a second opinion on whether what it looks like falls under "normal" or not. I don't know that you would really have a malpractice suit, though. It would kind of be your word against his, and I think the way a judge might end up looking at it is that you were in pain so your judgment of the situation could have been impaired, and the dr was right. I'm not saying that is the case, but that that is how a judge might see it. I'm sorry that you're dealing with this, though. As another mom said, I too had one but you can't even tell.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • :( I'm sorry that you are going through this.. I would definatly talk to another doctor!

    While my experience wasn't with my vaginal area, I had a mole removed off my back and because the doctor did such a hack job, he not only cut an artery but left this huge nasty scar on my back from something that should have just been a little line.

    Stand up for yourself and see someone else! That's my opinion.

    Answer by Skye-Angel at 9:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

  • I feel so bad for you! I feel horrible that this is apparently "normal" for women to be mutilated by doctors when there's no reason for it. I'm so sad for you! Definitely try to be seen by someone else, see if they can do anything about it, ANYTHING. If it bothers you it needs to be addressed and not shrugged off by them. You CAN find a doctor who cares, hun.

    Answer by SxdUpAngel at 9:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.