umbilical hernia?

anyone's child ever have this? whats it caused by? any info would be appreciated
thanks :)

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 8:18 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my niece had it... it was HUGE like an inch sticking out. :( it was sad but it didn't hurt her.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My youngest had it. I was really worried, but the doc told us that it was fine and not to worry. That they only really worry if it is in the groin because it can cut off part of the bowel and it can become a big problem. But an umbilical hernia is nothing to worry about and that it usually clears up on it's own when the kids start moving around and using their abdominal muscles.
    He said that it is caused because the abdomen muscles are in bands that go from the chest down to the groin and that when babies get the umbilical hernia that the muscles aren't tight between the bands and it can cause the intestines to poke though, because it is a weak spot.
    My son's cleared up at about 6 months, but some babies need surgery after 12 months for it.
    Good luck. I would just push it in when i noticed it poking through.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son had it. His doctor said most kids grow out of it by the time they're 2; if they don't, surgery may be necessary. Aeryn's is gone; it never bothered him. It just worried me.
    allans_girl

Answer by allans_girl at 8:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My granddaughter has this, she also have 3 other hurnia's in her stomach just above her belly button. She is having surgery in Sept. She will be a year old on Aug 16th. The dr explained to us that when she was born her stomach muscles weren't together like they should have been. PM me if you want to talk about it!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My 2 1/2 month old has a pretty big one, but the pediatrician said not to worry. He said they usually disappear by the time they are 5 years old.
    NursyLori

Answer by NursyLori at 3:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009