How do you stop diahreea?Diaper Rash?

My son is 19 months old. He's had diahreea off an on for 2 weeks. His little butt is full of really bad rashes. I put destin on him, but he scream because it hurts so much. he wont even sit in the bath water because of the rash. Took him to the doctor and they didnt do anything. I just want this to stop, I hate seeing him in pain.

mateosmami2007

Asked by mateosmami2007 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is a product called Buttpaste, i'm not sure whe makes it but i have heard that it gets rid of a rash in 3 days.
    trying2survive

Answer by trying2survive at 8:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My DD had the stomach flu around 13 mos. I put her on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. Brown rice and whole wheat bread are BEST for this) and she stopped pooping os much after 3 days. Her stool was normal consistancy within a week.

Stay away from ALL dairy except for breastmilk and anything sugary. If you must you can give some watered down pedialyte/gatorade to restore the electrolytes. Make sure your LO is drinking at least 8oz of fluid an hour--this is where mixing in a little pedialyte or gatorade helps.

For the butt, try using a little cornstarch. My DD had open sores all over her vagina and buttox and creams made them worse. After using cornstarch, her sores started to heal within hours. Don't use ANY babywipes or powders. Babywipes have alcohol in them, and baby powders can be irriating also. Use cornstarch at EVERY diaper change. I had to dip my LOs butt in lukewarm water everytime she pooped .
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• cont

and she would scream also. But the cornstarch really helped heal things up.

IF IF IF the cornstarch is not working within 24 hours, or appears to make things worse within two diaper changes, bring the baby back to the Dr and tell them he has a yeast infection. Cornstarch irritates yeast. But it really does help for normal irritation.

Good luck mama. And remember, BRAT diet ONLY!! When introducing foods after he is better, take it slowly. His tummy may take some adjusting to his normal diet.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:00 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Well for the diaper rash Use corn starch and triple butt paste and also there these lil pill thats called hump freeze ( hope i spelled i right ) they have them for babys 1 to help with teething and to help stop diahreea

hope it helps
    TeenMom711

Answer by TeenMom711 at 9:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son has been going through this for the last week. I asked my doc's office and they just told me "dry stuff" and didn't go into detail. . . yeah real helpful. . . So I checked with Dr. Sears (from The Doctors) and here is the link to his advice. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081500.aspIn short BRATY diet (banana, rice, apple sauce (no juice though), toast, yogurt) No dairy except yogurt. Fluids, white grape juice, pedilite, water.

I can't help with the diaper rash.  At the first sign of diarrhea I started using A&D to keep Chris' butt protected but here is , of course, Dr Sears' solutions http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• my DD had the same problem too. all the above posters will work. ALSO, if you tell your dr you think he has a yeast infection they should give you yeast infection cream for it. IT WORKS!!!! in the meantime put him in a cool bath not warm. think of how a yeast infection on YOU will feel. and putting on too much cream will actually irritate it. DONT use wipes..its burns. use cool cloths or warm ones and blot only. and stay away from dairy products. give him stuff that has fiber so itll bind the stool together. GL mama! i know what your goin thru!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Try leaving him naked! It helps too!
    antionette84

Answer by antionette84 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• u could try a couple thing that i use on my dd..when she was that age she had a sever yeat infection of the skin we ended up useing a combination of a+d ointment and hydrocortizone and combined it in a bowl or jar b/c nothing otc worked on her and the er dr recomended it and it worked miricals the first time we use it the a+d protected her butt from further burning and the hydrcortizone killed the yeast, another thing that workes to is lotrim it a athlets foot cream also i would let him air out as much as possiable, having the constint rub of the diper and held in mosoistur of urin and fecces will cause more problems
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am going through this right now!!! I can't believe the doc did nothing. My sons ped. perscribed neospoin. I alternate Buttpaste, neospoirin and nystatin--a perscription for yeast rash. This looks like little red bumps. Also keep the diaper off for a while because air heals. Buttpaste is a type of diaper rash cream. Its expensive, but works well. Good luck.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• by the way i noticed you have gotten great advice from the ladies above on the diahrea. The BRAT diet helps as well as get pedialite.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009