baby baptizing

my hubby wants to have our son baptized at a church. we don't even go to church and i believe that you shouldn't be baptized until you know what you want to do. what do i say to him, everytime i talk to him he gets really defensive about it because he was baptized as a baby, i wasn't until i was 15

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In some religions, like Catholicism, babies are baptized soon after birth. The parents or godparents speak for them. When they grow up they are confirmed and speak for themselves, usually around age 14.
    Years ago, it was believed that if a baby died before it was baptized, it didn't go to heaven, it was stuck in limbo until the second coming. (Isn't that awful?) We don't believe that anymore, but we still baptize babies, and raise them in the church so they can be confirmed when they are old enough to make up their own minds.
    I hope this helps.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:04 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Hi! i was actually baptized this very day. I do not think that you should have your baby baptised. WHy? because being baptised in water is professing your faith in Jesus as your Lord and savior. It even says in the bible that you should have understanding before you do tht. i think that makes sense do you? I really hope you try to find a church to get in. message me if you need to
    waytruthlife

Answer by waytruthlife at 11:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Honestly if your not going to raise the child the in the Church you shouldn't get him baptised. the state of grace that you are putting them in could more harm then good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Both my sons are baptized. It is what Lutherans do. Baptizing a baby is different than doing an adult. With a baby the parents and Godparents take the responsibility of raising the child in the faith. And then if the child agree with it they get confirmed around the age of 14.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• What sin has your infant done? Baptizing is to wash away our sins. The Bible tells us to repent and be baptized for the remission of our sins. I keep coming back to what terrible sin can an infant do that they need baptized before they even speak.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• baconbits - It is called original sin. We inherit the sins of Adam and Eve. No one is born pure according to Christianity.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am a Christian and do not believe in inherited sin. That would be like your son killing someone so your daughter must be put to death because he did it.

Adam & Eve paid the price for what they did. Jesus doesn't require that everyone pay the price for what someone else did before they were even thought of. God is not going to judge us guilty for what Adam & Eve did but rather what we do and our belief.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would like someone to qoute me the scripture that states a baby inherits Adam & Eves sin because I never read anywhere in the Bible where it shows infants being baptized but rather adults.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• we don't inherit their sin, we inherit their imperfect human state
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• am a Christian and do not believe in inherited sin.

Original sin is not inherited sin.  The doctrine of original sin is that "in" Adam all have sinned. This parallels the doctrine of justification that "in" Christ all are righteous as explained in Rom. 5:12-19.  God chose to create humans with a nature elevated above other animals.  Adam and Eve were endowed with sanctifying grace as a gift not just to them but to their posterity. Unfortunately, they lost this gift for themselves and for us, and so now we are born deprived of sanctifying grace. This has consequences. While original sin itself is the deprivation of sanctifying grace, it also carries with it a fallen and corrupt nature, which is the stain of original sin. 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:49 PM on Aug. 4, 2009