When does the Umbilical Cord stop pulsating when a baby is born so it can be cut after?

One of my birth plans is for the cord to stop pulsating on its own. I never done this, so how long does it take to stop? I am delivering at a army hospital and not by choice. They are control freaks and have some weird policies for things. Im also have a c-section so my husband will be there to support my choices and go along with what i want. so he will be there to tell them No or Yes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In an Army hospital, unless they have a very new progressive birth center, you are not going to be allowed to let the cord stop pulsing. They are more about busines..wham bam get it done than birth plans. It is old school thought that the infant is at risk of reverse transfusion. The cord begins to shut down as soon as it hits the air. It is one of the things that signals the infant to take it's first breaths. I wish I didn't know this from expierience but I do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• also i dont know what that hospital is like but when my friend had her csection they had her arms strapped down....might want to find out what that hospitals policies are!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Aint nobody strapping my damn arms down, there crazy. that is some old school shit. I will be calling tomorrow and find there policies. If its like this im removing my self from Tricare prime and going standard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If its a c-section, I think most hospitals strap your arms down cuz of IV's and such
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I had two c-sections and my arms where never strapped down. I had one at a civilian hospital in torrance, ca and one in a army base in germany.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I had a c-section and my arms were free. The doctor even told me that if my nose itched, I could scratch it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would be very surprised if they allow that with a c/s. I would imagine they would want the baby and placenta out asap so why bother waiting for the cord to stop pulsing. What does the doctor say? Is it something they even allow?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If you're having a c-section, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they will allow the cord to stop pulsating as it takes anywhere from 10-30 minutes. As soon as the baby is out they clamp, cut, and start removing the placenta. It literally takes a matter of minutes. They will want you to be sewed up and in the recovery room 30-45mins after the surgery.

If the c-section isn't 100% medically necessary (big baby, overdue, & prior c-sections are NOT good reasons), then you might want to try a vaginal birth so that they will respect your wishes on this topic. I'm not sure if you can, but I just thought I'd bring it up regardless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with the PP, there aren't a lot of reasons you should really NEED a c-section, that said, if you really DO, be aware that they usually won't wait for the cord to stop pulsing, because it does take a couple of minutes. With a vaginal birth, you have a MUCH higher chance of having your wishes upheld. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes i do need a c-section. Because they wont allow me to go off post the army base to the midwife i want to go. The midwife i was going to go also will not be doing a vaginal birth because she just wont. In order for me to see a doctor who will allow me to do a vaginal birth is in Olympia, Wa and i have to bring both op reports from both c-sections, she has to look at my c-section scar and let me know if i can or cant do a vaginal birth. I cant go to either woman because my military insurance are controlling and wont let me do what is best for me. so i am stuck going on base.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009