Is co-sleeping ruining my chances to ever get my baby in the crib?

I co-sleep because my baby had terrible issues with digestion and gas and was up almost every 45 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG. So in order to get any rest what so ever I decided to co-sleep ( I also exclusively BF-elimination diet etc). She is now 5 months old and slowly (after eliminating wheat of ALL THINGS!) getting better day by day. Sleeping almost 2 hrs at a time. I was just wondering if it will be possible for me to ever get her in the crib and if so is there a time that I HAVE to do it by or suffer serious consequences. At this point I feel like putting her in the crib will be nearly impossible as she loves to fall asleep to the breast and feeds every time she wakes. Am I creating a monster? Pls tell me I can get her in the crib before she's one... I need a relaxing sleep one of these days...even if it is only 2 hrs

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd stayed in my room until she was almost 2 & she didn't have a problem going to bed in her own room, i did though :(
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would move her asap. I just would. Chances are, it'll get worse the longer she's with you. Just my opinion. Every kid is different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I co-slept with mine until 7 months and he transitioned to the crib like he'd been sleeping in it all along. From the very first night there were no problems whatsoever, but all babies are different.
    Anonymous

• I co slept with all of my children and they had no problem moving on to their own bed when the time came. Granted I slept with them from ages ranging from 18 months until 3 years. I suggest a bed in your bedroom and moving them to their own bed once they are asleep.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 9:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• With BFing it might be a problem more so than if you didn't BF, (NOT saying you shouldn't BF, just saying they do seem to get use to that) I heard babies don't start getting attached to things until they're six months. Maybe start trying it before then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would move her once she fell asleep. cause the longer she is with you the more she might get attached i have had my nephew in my bed since he was 3 months old he is 4 and still wont sleep in his own bed
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Co sleeping has no negative consequences. It's actually proven far more beneficial for baby. Relax. You can get a good night's rest with her in bed. Babies rarely ever want to sleep alone. It's not easy at all for most people even from the beginning. it depends on the child. Just don't push it. She'll go to her own bed when she's ready. When you get to that point, you'll miss this time.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• id be more worried that she wants to eat every time she wakes?? did i read that correctly so like once an hour?
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Oh, not at all!

Mine didn't use his crib till eight months. And didn't stay ALL NIGHT in it till about a year. But then he used the crib till just about age three when we moved him into a regular bed. Queen size, no toddler beds here.

Relax. You're FINE.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Oh. One more note. Relaxing sleep? That would be a violation of the Mommy Contract and they'd have to send the nice little men in pink and blue coats to take the baby back. **grin**

Relax. It'll happen. When you least expect it.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009