For the moms that didn't do the CIO method...

How old was your child when they started going to sleep on their own?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• she still dosen't & she's 3... i sit in her bedroom floor until she falls asleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• DD slept in her bed by herself all night at age 2, after sleeping with us...DS will be 2.5 soon and it still patchy...sleeps in his bed, but not for the whole night usually.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• i never did CIO and my child almost always went to sleep on his own at night. he had a couple month phase around the time he was 1 when we had a hard time getting him to sleep. BUT he didn't start sleeping through the night until around 21 months old! bleh! he's 22 months old now and he sleeps through the night most nights. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I still sit my 13 month old until she falls asleep. She's been sleeping through the night since she was 8.5 months old. If she happens to wake up in the middle of the night, I just make sure she has her paci, and she falls asleep on her own, without me having to sit with her.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• WHAT IS CIO?
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:10 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Mine still doesn't. She's nearly 2. She likes mommy to be near by. It's normal and natural.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• He started *going* to sleep on his own at about a year. STAYING asleep for more than about three or four hours? That was another matter, but I wasn't much fussed about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I never did CIO and my son goes to sleep on his own. He has been doing this ever since he was 10 months (almost 14 mo. now) ... and he was a terrible sleeper as an infant!
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my daughter was around 14 months... i put her in a big bed (she hated her crib) then lay down and read books each night with her, she is a wonderful sleeper now, she only very rarely has bad dreams, and has slept very well since then. shes is 6 now.

my son is 12 months, and is still in our bed (we are all happy with this arrangement) he is still nursing once or twice during the night, so not yet sleeping *through the night* but he does have stretches of 5 or so hours. he goes to sleep very well on his own though now.

i find having a very constant (not too ridged though) DAYTIME routine helps immensely. making sure baby wakes at the same time each morning, and has naps at approx the same time, and especially the dinnertime routine needs to be steady, so they sleep cues begin at around 5:30 at our house, and the baby goes to bed at 7:30, so there is a lot of things we do to let his body wind down and get ready for sleep.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 7:51 AM on Aug. 3, 2009