what are the effects?

This isn't my son, but my aunt's son. he's 12 years old, still sleeps with his mom and dad. I mean sleeps in the same bed, never sleeps in his own.
What are the effects later on in life that can happen to him?
my mother and I were talking about that today. and I told her perhaps when he gets married he MIGHT start crying for his mother to sleep with him. and we don't know if he'll stick with a girl long enough when he's old enough to even get married.
I feel bad for that little boy. But that's my aunt's way of parenting. We didn't say anything to her cause we know there are different ways of how you want to parent your child. and we also couldn't tell her in fear of her taking off and go back home when she was visiting us for a week after not seeing her for 5 years because she's in the Air Force [retiring soon]

kittenripmaygo

Asked by kittenripmaygo at 9:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think it could be detrimental to a child if they are sleeping with mom and dad at that age. Not only does it cause probs for parents but social aspects for the child as well. Kids will pick on him and such and no good can come of it. Tell the mother and father in a nice way that they are ruining his life and that they need to cut the imbilical cord.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I'm all for co sleeping, but it has to end sometime.

I know this is gross, but does he really want to be in bed with mom and dad when he has his first wet dream? It's going to happen sooner or later.

Anonymous

• I am all for younger kids sleeping with parents, but a 12 year old, NO WAY. That is way too old, except in special cases (staying at a hotel or someone's house, camping, etc). That child needs to be in his own bed NOW. That child will be in therapy for a long time.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:23 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I guess she has her reasons, um, I dont know what the effects are, but its likely there will be SOME separation issues. I think I would just let her do what she wants and reap the issues that come.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Don't we want our children to be independent? Also what about the parents isn't this detrimental to their relationship/
    JDubs76

Answer by JDubs76 at 11:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• That is way to old to be sleeping with your parents! I am single and only let my 10 year old on some occasions,thunder storms,trouble sleeping, stuff like that. i did the same with my 15 year old when she was younger only more often because she was sad about my divorce with her dad but thats reasonable and same with my 10 year old, divorce is a good reason but every not is not!
    mommmyof2soon

Answer by mommmyof2soon at 10:15 PM on Aug. 5, 2009