What's the difference between a Christian and a "born again" Christian?

No, there’s no punch line (though it does sound like the beginning of a joke LoL!)and I'm not trying to be factious here; I'd really like to know. So many people on CM claim to be "born again" but I was not raised with that phrase. I was raised that you were baptized as an infant and your parents at that point were responsible for your spiritual development, then at 13 you were confirmed and that's when the Holy Spirit came into you. There was no talk of being born again; you were just reaffirming what your parents started at your birth. Can someone please explain this without bashing? I find the term to be interesting and don't really see the difference.

anime_mom619

Asked by anime_mom619 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyone who is a Christian, according to John 3:1-7 is "born again." There doesn't have to be a moment where you were saved and then you weren't. Born again refers to the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Anyone with whom the Holy Spirit abides has experienced a spiritual re-birth whether they specifically said the "sinner's prayer" or had a major conversion or just always had faith from childhood on. I never prayed the sinner's prayer. I do not remember a time where I did not believe in Jesus.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• as a baptist, heres what it means to me:

a christian is someone who accepts christ into their heart and lives accordingly

born again christian is someone who was a christian, but back slid (meaning didn't like a christian life) repented and asked God into their heart again and to forgive the wicked ways and now lives a christian life again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• live not like oops*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Born again is a term referring to a person being saved. When you accept the Saviors calling on your heart, you become a clean fresh brand new person, the old person is dead, there for its called being born again. A fresh start.

There is no set age, its when the spirit draws you unto himself. And parents wishes have nothing to do with our being saved, it is a personal thing between you and God, no one else knows your true heart but God.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:19 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Anon....you are Baptist and you believe being Born again is only for back sliders? Does your church teach that?

Our church teaches that everyone who is saved is Born again, and there is no such thing as back sliding, most who say they have back sliden,,,,were never saved to begin with.....of course saved people sin, but they dont knowingly wallow in it for years without being chastised by the spirit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• yes that's what my church teaches
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• "Born again" is a term in Christianity that refers to this passage:

"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." —John 3:1-7
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• O.k. then. What if you are a Christian, but not "born again"? Or at least don't see yourself as that way because proclaiming Jesus as your Lord and Savior is a part of your church service every week of your life? For some people there is no one single moment when they were "saved". What happens to them?

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:41 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Born of water refers to your physical birth from your mother. We are all born into the realm of death. To be saved from the consequences of sin nature, we must "die to sin and live to righteousness" (I Peter 2:24). When we are "born again," we accept Jesus and the annointing of the Holy Spirit (born of fire, see Acts 2:3 for an instance where this is literally demonstrated as tongues of fire ignite above the first Christians).

Anyone who believes in Jesus and therefore is saved, is "born again." Some churches emphasize the term more than others.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It takes more than just believing to be saved. Heck, I believe in the devil too.....

It takes surrendering to His will and laying down your sins...and turning to a new life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2009