A puppy with a wound behind his ear....please help..........This puppy is not mine, but his mom is my brother in laws....continued below

The puppy went missing for a 2 days. Today we were over & he was very lethargic but still drinking water eating. I looked at him & saw a hole behind his ear that was all white inside, there were ants crawling around it, & you could tell the white was moving. My brother in law told me it was magots. No one can afford to take the dog to the vet, & I know my brother in law was planning to put him down because he thought he was too far gone since he had been missing & assuming there was more wrong than just the wound because he really was not moving much. The puppy eventually moved into the bed area on the back porch. My SO & I went to look at him some more, my SO hadn't seen the whole at this point. I felt so bad for him & asked about the vet. My SO & I cleaned out the wound w/hydrogen peroxide the best we could. We put betadine on it & bandaged it. What else should we do? Also what chances do we have of saving the puppy?

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pets

• i was just going to tell you to clean it as best you can. Dogs have better immune systems that humans and he may just bounce back. It will be hard to tell for a few days, but as long as he's eating and stuff everything may be alright. It might just take him a bit to get his energy back. Has he had his shots?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• He hasn't had any shots that I am aware of. The puppies were not planned and my brother in law has been trying to give them away since they were born/old enough to leave their mother. my sister took one of the puppies and has just started all his shots. The puppy is only a few months old. I know he could probably use his shots, but my brother-in-law is doing well just to pay for all the dog food. There are a total of 5 puppies still at his house and his dog. I am not sure how much longer he is planning to keep the puppies before he has to take them to the pound. They are cute and will make good dogs, but they will be big which makes it harder to give them away I think.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Please try to get these puppies rehomed... Go on craigslist or something, there are plenty of people who would be glad to give them a home. There are also low cost spay and neuter clinics everywhere so try and bring it up to your family. Thousands of puppies are put down every year because of irresponsible people who could have prevented these unjust deaths.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 2:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• take this puppy to animal control or the SPCA or the humane society or even a peta organization if you can. All of these organisations will treat this puppy or humanely euthanize him.

pixie_stix

Answer by pixie_stix at 1:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would irrigate the wound often with saline solution to get all the bugs out. You can get a bottle in the eye care aisle of any store. I'm not familiar with betadine. I would use neosporin or bag balm something with a vaseline base so no other bugs could get in.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 4, 2009