am i reaching? causing the problem.? or just knwing my own kid?

im bipolar my father and sister are too.. in addition my mother has major aniexty.. and my brother has suffered from intense depression.. anywy.. so here i am with a mental illness raising to best of my abililty my son who is two... now i do knw and realize that all kids are emotional and have independent little personlities.. however.. i think my son is already showing signs of ocd..such as all his food from crackers, grapes, blueberries. all have to be lined up properly prior to consumtion.. his cup alwys on the same side of high chair..very senstive little man.. if another kid hurts themselves he will go up and get in there personal space and comfort them...for snacks anywhere he lays down a blanket and sits,, lay the gold fish(exaMPLE) down in a line perfectly.. And will sit and eat his snack.. every and i mean every single bench at the park he sits on for two min. then leaves..my dh thinks i making him this way.reaching

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I watched this documentary for this class I took last semester...It was about how kids as young as two are being diagnosed with things like bipolar and ADHD. They're being prescribed harmful drugs when doctors don't know the short or long term side-effecfs. Two years old is way to young to be diagnosed with something like that. I'd say he's just being a kid. My son does things like that too. Would you really want him to be on meds that will for sure harm him? I didn't think so. I wouldn't even consider for him to be diagnosed with something like that until 18.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• no no no... it's not weird at ALL. kiddos are creatures of habits and love routine and whatnot. unless it was severely affecting quality of life, it's comforting the child and is fine.

Now if the kid was STARVING to death and refused to eat til the goldfish were perfectly alligned ... something that is really limiting their happiness and quality of life... then THAT is problematic
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:48 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• PS as far as his cup goes... I am going to guess he may be trying to show you he's left handed? (or right!)

and think about all the hundreds of times you hear about, read about, and see in movies/tvs kids as old as 12 or 13 who spazz out when their peas touch their mashed potatoes. food is the only real control they have as kids. I think it's safe to assume it's normal and standard behavior
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• It could be possible he is mimicking if you yourself do anything OCD. I know my son has picked up on some of my "idiosyncratic" habits already.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Most mental illness runs in families, so it could be possible that your son will develop a mental disorder. I wouldn't worry about it right now, he could just be mimicking what he sees in you or others. He could just be acting like a kid. I would watch him later though and let his doctor know about the family history of mental illness and they will watch for signs. If there is a mental illness, early detection and treatment is necessary to control it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My son has OCD, and he does that stuff all the time. I used to be engaged to a man with OCD also. The man took pills for it, but he said they made him "loopy" so he quit taking them, and I helped him with his problem, it was severe. When my son was 2 he got up, without me knowing, went to the fridge took all the eggs out of the carton, a nd lined them up on the shelves in the fridge. I was amazed becuz @ 2 he didnt break a single one. He did that with his matchbox cars, he does it now with his legos. He'll build things and they will have to stay built or he has a raging fit, especially at school whn it's time to clean up. He is extremely smart, so he will argue his point until someone tells him he's right. You have to work with your child with one eccentricy at a time, and kinda force him not to do things a certain way. Like with the Legos, I had to tell him several times before he got it, and word things to his liking.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• This sounds like a characteristic of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but if I'm not mistaken ASD kids usually have some comorbidity with OCD characteristics. Googling will give you way more info, there are tons of checklists. Either way, the earlier the detection and treatment, the less impact it will have on life for all of you. 18 is WAY too late to get the treatment that can make life much easier, but I agree with one of the PP's that medication in a child this young is not a good thing. I think medication should be used as a last resort, if all other interventions have been ineffective.
    Sometimes men have a hard time accepting something is medically wrong with their child, especially something subjective. You can see a temperature on a thermometer, you can hear a cough, both objective symptoms. But something like this where it's open to interpretation, they have a hard time accepting. You KNOW your child, go with your gut.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 3, 2009