Self-weaning from the pacifier?

If you let your child self-wean, how old were they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• i took dd's away at 3 months she didn't take it all the time anyway
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My dd still has hers at 22 months but she only uses it to fall asleep at night and that is it. It falls out of her mouth I take it and lay her in bed. I think I am going to try and see if she wants to give her paci to the lil babies soon so she doesnt have it at all
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:30 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• The way my SIL did it with my nephew was she would only give it to him at naptime and bedtime and then slowly got to where she would only give it to him if he asked for it, she'd hide it (Out of sight out of mind sort of thing) and eventually it got down to where he'd just ask for it at bedtime and within a month or so he just totally forgot about it all together.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Both of my sons started spitting out the pacifer when they were between 4 and 6 months old.
    morningjava

Answer by morningjava at 10:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My kids only take them at nap and bedtime. My 2 1/2 y/o DS doesn't even suck on his but I paid the night I tried to take it away. I was up and down stairs all night calming him down!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:33 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My oldest stopped using his at 6months, my 2nd held on to his till he was about 1yr-18mo, and my 3rd stopped using his at 1yr.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:50 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• How did you keep the child happy during the day while u were weaning them off?
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:39 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• If they start asking about it immediately get their attention onto something else. Keep them busy.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:42 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• we took it away at around 9 months. it was not a problem

Answer by rkoloms at 9:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My 7 month old is addicted to hers! Mostly at nap/bed time. I plan on telling her that she can only have it at bedtime and in the car soon after she turns one. Then at 18-24 months, I plan on cutting it out completely. At this age you can tell them that when they are ready, they can leave their paci under their pillow, and when they wake up, a present will be there in it's place. Good luck!
    ARoseisaRose1

Answer by ARoseisaRose1 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009