How do I stop my two year old from sucking his thumb?

My two year old sucks his thumb when he is tired or not feeling well. He took to his thumb instead of a pacifier when he was 4 months old. He stopped for a little while after he turned one. Shortly after he stopped he got an ear infection and I noticed he started back again. Any suggestions on how to stop him, or should I not worry about it yet?

morningjava

Asked by morningjava at 10:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't worry about it. He'll stop when he's ready. It sounds like he only does it when he needs to self-soothe anyway.

People might give you scary advice like pepper, cinnamon oil or socks and those things are just mean IMHO. I sucked my thumb until I started school and it left no lasting damage.
    MichiMomma

Answer by MichiMomma at 10:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it yet. And I'd be happy if it were the thumb and not a binky. My 2 1/2 year old still has a binky and I tried to wean him but that didn't work. But really, I don't think it is an issue at this age :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• You don't. He will stop when he is ready, I have never seen a kid graduate from high school sucking his thumb. As long as his thumb isn't pressing on the back of his top teeth, nothing will happen to his teeth. Let him be.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I don't worry about it. My son is 3 and does the same thing.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2009