Does your child where school uniforms?

And if so, do you like uniforms?
I hate them, I'm actually having to spend more money on clothes for my 5yo by having to buy uniforms. You can't find them on clearance like I find ALL her other clothes either. She HAS to have a certain jacket and sweater when it gets colder. And if she messes one uniform item up I can't just put another outfit on her, I have to make sure she has a uniform clean instead of washing when the kids hamper is full which waste energy and all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in

• My son does and I get the double knee pants. I get his pants and shirts from Wal-Mart and they are still good and he still fits them from last year. I don't mind it because it's what he has to wear.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:53 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I would LOVE to have uniforms, the school district has such a strict dress code that uniforms would be a lot easier and cheaper. Try Walmart, Target and JcPenney for uniforms. Also, check at the school and see if they have a uniform swap where you bring items your daughter has outgrown to swap with ones that fit her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• no & i am so glad we dont have a dress code
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 2:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Mine do and it's actually cheaper for us. When my older 2 started at this school (they were in kindy and 2nd grade) it was pricey. I got my son 3 pants, 2 shirts and a gym uniform. I got my dd a jumper, 3 blouses, socks, a sweater and a gym uniform. Cost me about $180. But they wore the gym clothes and shirts for 2 years. I had to replace the pants because they got worn out but went with the uniform company pants the 2nd time and they lasted a year and a half. My dd wore her jumper for a year and then it went to her little sister. Someone also donated some jumpers to us so they wore those last year and will wear them this year.
    The only thing I had to buy last year was a gym uniform for my 6yo and some more socks for the girls.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I love the school uniforms, the kids look neat, no baggy pants hanging to your knees underwear showing crap...no gang colors...schools are safer because it is alot easier to spot intruders......
    unforms are not expensive either.....walmart,target,kmart all have resonable uniform prices and you can always hit yardsales and of course ebay....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 6:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Two words...Catholic School! The inventors of the school uniform. I went to kindergarden in 1972 and we wore uniforms back then...my kids go now and still wear them. I love it. No worry, less fuss. Public school uniforms can get expensive because they have more options. Catholic uniforms are very strict. They look neat, tidy, and like their parents actually give a crap. I am glad public schools in our area are going to uniforms. The kids look nice, and they are the great equalizer...no making fun of others for what they don't have.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• lol, salexander! that's right...Catholic school! I actually love the uniform thing. Yes, they are expensive but, it does keep the fuss down in the mornings.
    Our school has a uniform exchange system. It used to be....bring in gently used uniforms and receive credit to purchase gently used uniforms already traded in from other parents. Now, it's free. Bring in gently used and take gently used for FREE. Some looks great still. Some should have been throw out long time ago.
    tami06

Answer by tami06 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Well around here, a lot of kids don't look neater in uniforms. They have stains allover their white shirts, the clothes are too big, and the pants are faded and worn out. I refuse to let my kids look like that and that's why I'm spending more on my 5yo's uniforms. I got the nicer, better made one's, and got a few more so they would last longer and I'm not washing every other day. I looked at the used one's around here and there aren't too many in size 5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Our public school system wears uniforms starting at 5th grade, and I LOVE it. My oldest son has a very defined sense of what he likes to wear (and it's not his school uniform!), but he knows that everyone else looks just like him at school, so he doesn't care. After school and on weekends he gets to wear his regular clothes. I don't have to scramble to try to find matching clothes to lay out for him. To me, it was a win-win situation, and that's why I voted for school uniforms when it came up a few years ago.
    Keri14

Answer by Keri14 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I HATE THEM!!!!
    My son school starts them this year. Hard to find clothes to fit him. Plus he has a whole closet full of clothes that are still not bad from last year.
    Having uniforms DOES NOT help kids learn better. They can still compare the places their parents went and they can still add stuff to them. Catholic girls have done that before as I grew up with some.
    UNIFORMS are a way for the schools to make the parents pay more for nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2009