Breathing problems in a 4 month old boy? PLEASE OFFER ADVICE!

My son has been having breathing issues for just over a week. it is not all the time. Ive taken him to the doctor and while they hear a little wheezing when they force a breath they say he probably just has congestion. I dont know how to explain what i think the real problem is, nor have i ever heard of something like this before..im hoping someone else out there has had this experience.
My son isn't wheezing, he is gasping. He doesnt show any signs of distress when this happens but he will do several gasps in a row...i can induce this gasping (only thru experiementing to see what brings it on) when preasure is placed on his abdomen/chest. if i hold him so that his back is against me with my arm across his chest, if his in in an exersaucer or jumparoo its ususaly goning to happen. i dont feel this is a "sick" thing, i feel it has something to do with that preasure.
Anyone ever hear or experience this please?!

vogue31

Asked by vogue31 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prayers for your baby get him seen
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I dont know, but anything having to do with breathing is serious. I would find a second opinion quickly just to make sure there isnt a real problem. Hope you figure it out soon ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Don't let this go, your instincts are telling you and you are seeing something isn't quite right. I'd call again or ask for a second opinion.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:29 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Go to a Childrens Hospital or call one and ask to see one of their Pediatric cardiologists what you describe actually sounds like a CHD (congenital heart disease) which presents as youve stated.

Be very careful too of the testing; you want Ultra sounds and MRI's NOT radiation tests (like xrays and CAT scans-- in young children this will later lead to big problems) Some hospitals which are well known for thier Childrens specialty are Maria Ferrari childrens, CHOP, Yale-- they all have referral lines that can hook you up with appointments

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:34 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• He may have a floppy trachea or lyrnx which makes him sound wheezy.

Oh and of course he'll be gaspy if pressure if placed on his chest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• He needs a sleep study. My oldest son had one. Checks for reflux, apnea, things like that.

They'll put him in the hospital overnight (you can stay with him). They run a tube up his nose & into his stomach & puts all sorts of little monitors on him. That's it -- no needles or anything like that.

The monitors will record any abnormalities &, if needed, they'll put him on a sleep monitor. It's just a strap that wraps around his chest. He may need to wear it all the time or just when he sleeps. If he stops breathing or anything like that, it sets off an alarm.

My son had his for several months.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009