My pastor is coming over to our house for a visit to get to know us better. What to wear? What to serve?

We recently joined our current church after being "out of the loop" for awhile. I love this church and I love the people. I am very fond of the Pastor and his Wife and kids. He asked to come to our home for a visit to get to know us better. He said not to feed him because he doesn't want to impose on us but I would feel better to have something available as refreshment. What should I have? And should I dress as I do at church (dressy), or dressy casual?

sylvia-ann

Asked by sylvia-ann at 11:26 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Dont worry so much, he is a person too, and if he requires so much worry, then maybe you are focusing on the wrong things.

Dress casual, have something to offer him to drink, maybe a light snack....he will probably refuse both....most people do in situations like this....

Be yourself....thats who he wants to meet, you....not someone who is overly worried about appearances.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Honestly, if he's trying to get to know you better.... don't put up a front. Don't worry about the right thing to wear or the right foods to serve. Be yourself --- that's what he really wants.

Just dress like you normally do at home (unless you're nudists, of course) & have whatever refreshments you'd have available if you were expecting anyone else to come visit.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:32 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I know I shouldn't be worried about appearances, but I've never had a Pastor over before so I am really more worried to dress appropriately/respectful. Thank You for your honesty.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 11:40 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• O.K. one of the biggest complaints I hear from pastors and their wives is that people put them up on a pedestal.  Treat him as you would any other visitor.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:44 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• get a pizza and pie coffee already made and relax have photo albums to chit chat about ect.,
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:47 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• maybe a deli plate? cheese and sausage ect
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:49 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I'm living in a pastor's house. His wife is an old friend of mine and they have been living in other cities helping churches that are between pastors. He has been a pastor at very large, wealthy churches in the past.

Their house is messier than average. They wear jeans and wouldn't want people to worry about what to wear. He actually wears funny t-shirts that say things like I do all my own stunts. They even get things at Goodwill.

He would probably like a cold drink - water, ice tea, diet pop. I doubt he would want snacks.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Relax......he's human like you are! If you feel the need to provide snacks, just do a cheese/cracker/vegetable and fruit tray. Some soda or ice tea would be very refreshing. As far as what to wear? Wear something that is semi-casual and comfortable so that you appear comfortable in front of him, and then he will also feel comfortable in your home.
    CoffeeBean01

Answer by CoffeeBean01 at 12:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Whatever you have on hand should be fine. Don't dress up, just be yourself. Offer the ususal thing you would any guest. Iced tea, or warm herbal tea. Cookies and or crackers and cheese.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree, cheese and crackers or cookies. Coffee.

He doesn't want you to stress about it though. Although most women do freak out a bit when anyone new comes over. I have to have everything perfect, lol (I need to pray about pride issues, LOL). Just ask the Lord to calm your nerves and take your time getting everything ready.

May you continue to feel loved by this pastor and his wife.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009