My almost 5 year old still wears a pull-up at night, and soaks it.

I have a 4 year old girl and she soaks a pull-up at night. I don't know if she just thinks that its ok to pee in a pull-up now, and wont try to go potty at night. Dose any one have any ideas on what I sholud do next to get her night time potty trained. She has been very hard to potty train, an dstill has 1 or 2 pee accidents a day.

mckaylaboo

Asked by mckaylaboo at 9:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My first thought is to take off the pull ups and let her pee all over herself and feel the conquences. Then have her clean up the mess strip her sheets, put them in the washer with you help etc. Kids have to suffer the conquesnces sometimes before they learn. I would think she'd not like the feeling of being wet and stinky and doing all that work afterwards.

Let me know how it goes,
    Deb~
    P.S. I have 23 years of experience as a mom, and 18 years as a professional nanny.
    stljwwoman

Answer by stljwwoman at 9:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I agree. take the pull ups off and let her feel the real deal.
    mamawilson112

Answer by mamawilson112 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• take the pull up away.Tell her if she wants to be a big girl she has to try to not wet the bed.And reward her when she wakes up dry.but, her bladder might not yet be mature..My one son who is now 11 peed everynight and a few times each night.Up to age 9!!! Good luck stay stong i knw how tough it can get
    MySaviorMyGod

Answer by MySaviorMyGod at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• My 6 year old boy wets his pull up everynight and taking it away just meant a wet bed, I took him to the doctor and he has a spastic bladder, meds work during the day but since he is used to the spasms he doesn't get woken up by them at night, they say he will outgrow it. Try without the pull up but be willing to take her to see a urologist too.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I would take her to a development delay pediatrician. Their might be something wrong.
    mojojojocriner

Answer by mojojojocriner at 11:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• Alot of children have this problem and making them sleep in a urine soaked bed will make them feel ashamed over something that they don't have control. Enuresis(night time bed wetting) happens for may reaslons including a small bladder and extremely heavy sleepers. If she is having accidents during the day make sure she is not constipated. That is one of the most common reasons that potty-trained children have day time accidents. You could look into a bedwetting alarm. Talk to her doctor about this. Many doctors will tell you not to be concerned about this. Another thing to keep in mind is that many children w/enuresis have a family history of this problem. So if you or her father or othe family members had this problem, you are just going to have to wait it out. Make sure she goes potty before bed and try to have her go again before you go to bed at night. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
    jrsmama605

Answer by jrsmama605 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• My yonger sister peed in her sleep till she was 13+. It was a great trial for her. My kids were OK. What I tried was to take them to the Loo before going to sleep and wake them up after about 4 hrs. of sleep & sometimes carry them to do the job. After continues dry bedding they got used to going before bed time and early morning. Before they were 1 year they were potty trained. They were both given coloured books to read/ look at whilst being potty trained. It worked. It's best to avoid axitement sometime before bed time. No strage or exciting stories on TV or videos may help. GOOD LUCK!
    cafenatesha

Answer by cafenatesha at 1:12 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• have u tried not lettin her have alot of fluids before bed and t hen makin sure that she potties before she lays down . that really helps my son. even though now that hes moved into a new place he seems to be confused again about the potty.
    TreQuansmomma

Answer by TreQuansmomma at 8:00 AM on Aug. 23, 2008

• I agree with the limiting fluids at least an hour, hour and a half b4 bed and making them go right before they lay down. Make it a routine. My son is 5 and he wets the bed sometimes when I'm not paying attention to his daily routine. You have to be consistant with bed time feeding and drinking times. He is scared of the dark so he used to just pee on himself because he didn't want to get out of the bed try leaving the bathroom or hall light on or putting night lights in the hall and bathroom so she can see her way that may help it helped for my sons dark fears. If she drinks before bed you do have to monitor her by getting her up a few hours to take her to the bathroom. It is going to make you WORK no matter what you decide to do but if your tired of soaked pull ups your gonna have to do something different. Hope it works out I used to dislike washing pee sheets but if you have to wash pee sheets and clothes add vinager to the wash and itc will get rid of the pee smell.
    marshaunsmommy

Answer by marshaunsmommy at 12:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2008