Category B Pain Killers

Through my ENTIRE pregnancy so far I have dealt with migraines that are absolutely keeping me from even being able to move let alone able to enjoy life or this pregnancy. I just entered the 3rd trimester and have no confidence in my doctors at all! My husband is military and we just got moved and the doc I was assigned to has so far given me only drugs that I find out from other doctors to be harmful to my baby and they don't work. I went back home for a month and so I saw my old doctor (who is amazing) and he told me that I could take oxycotin, that it is a category b and is no threat to my baby as long as its not taken alot or for long periods of time. Although they do work when I take them I just don't feel right about taking them even though I was told they are safe and by my own research I found the same thing. I would feel much better about taking something non-narcotic that is category b. Does anyone no of any? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There isnt any pain reliever besides narcotics that are in Cat. B. Tylenol is in Cat. A (the only thing in Cat A) and you cant take anti-inflammatories or aspirin so that only leaves narcotics:(
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had to take pain pills while I was pregnant with my 3rd baby and she was healthy as can be. But the docs right about not taking them for long periods of time because they can become addicting to you and the baby. Tramadol is a non narcotic but has to be prescribed. I have taken it before and it didn't help much either. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• How long did you take them? I am in pain every day so do I choose just certain days? Any advice on how you handled would be great!! Im so nervous but also scared of the stress Im putting on my baby by being in so much pain all the time.
    blondisfun

Answer by blondisfun at 2:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I had to take Percocet (Category C) through most of my pregnancy. I had kidney stones, and then stents in my kidneys. I was extremely worried about it, but my obgyn assured me it was ok. (I WAS out of my 1st trimester when it started). I tried to take them only when I felt I HAD to. I tried to only take 1 a day, and make the most of the time when I could function after that (about 2-3 hrs). It is SO hard to be in extreme pain when pregnant. I had to stop working and everything. My son will be 2 soon and was born big & healthy. Don't beat yourself up if you take something w/your dr's ok. It is not like you are taking them for fun! I had very supportive doctors & specialists and that made a HUGE difference for me. My advice would be to go ahead and take what works, so that you can actually try to function. If you are like me you will only take what you have to and not even as much as you can. PM me if you want.
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 2:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009