Do you know a young woman who has had a hysterectomy?

My friend is 30, no children and is having a hysterectomy Tuesday.... ;(

She is so sad, they have tried for a baby for several years....but now her endometriosis is so bad, its required.

How bad is it, when they suggest a hysterectomy....what exactly does endometriosis do? I hate to question her to death...she is worried and I dont want to bother her.

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 11:51 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Health

• my sil had to have a hysterectomy & she's only 32... but after she had her 2nd baby they couldn't stop her bleeding
    endometriosis is where endometrial (uterine) cells are found in places besides the uterus (within the pelvis), and i've heard it's very painful
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• Well this is it:
    Endometriosis is a disorder of the female reproductive system. In endometriosis, the endometrium, which normally lines your uterus, grows in other places as well. Most often, this growth is on your fallopian tubes, ovaries or the tissue lining your pelvis.

When endometrial tissue is located elsewhere in your body, it continues to act as it normally would during a menstrual cycle: It thickens, breaks down and bleeds each month. Because there's nowhere for the blood from this displaced tissue to exit your body, it becomes trapped, and surrounding tissue can become irritated.

Trapped blood may lead to cysts, scar tissue and adhesions — abnormal tissue that binds organs together. This process can cause pelvic pain, especially during your period. Endometriosis also can cause fertility problems.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• I have it but they lasered the uterine lining so I don't get a period now and pain is minimal. Had to be severe for your pal and I'm sorry to hear it. : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:59 PM on Aug. 2, 2009

• My younger sister had a hyster she was tired but totally fine. She's such a tough woman. She just turned 26 this past July.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 12:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i had that. they found a cyst on my ovarie when i got my ultrasound and had to surgically remove it WHILE I WAS PREGNANT!! but the babys ok and hopefully it doesnt come back.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 6:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My ex-SIL had one at like 22 because she wanted one.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• they don't do it jsut b/c you want one, unless the doctor is a complete moron
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009