does your dh work just for commission.. how do u save?

so this has been the hardest past year since my dh and i have together.. he sells boats; quads; motorcycles.. trailers.. and our income has gone up and down over the years.. we have been with one another for seven years.. at one time i use to be nanny.. well anywys... one of our cars got repoed in march. since then my husband has moved to a better motorcycle dealership and we moved to cheaper rent.. well now he starting to make normal money again.. nt alot but we are time with the electric. the other car payment we had.. we have food..but i know that the winter is coming.. and even when we never struggled the winter has alwys been slower.. mybe a few dirt bikes... so my ? is my dh can make a 700 for two weeks.. then the next make 3500 how do i balance that out. sometime he will get a bonus for being the top sales guy.. sometime no money no sale.. any advice..im home with a toddler and mybe we can save for used car to get out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Aug. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

• My husband sells cars and has for 6 years now. Our income also fluctuates like crazy. The best thing to do is figure out what your monthly outgo is and budget as well as you can. In the months of "plenty" put away everything extra into savings, so you have it when there are slow months. We still struggle with it at times especially since the dealership my husband works for has cut commission packages considerably. We have sold a few things we don't need, and have downgraded some things to simplify and cut bills. Good luck, I know it is hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Have you thought about working from home? Feel free to call me, Becky, at 540-465-4884. That's what I had to do. We needed a second income, but with 5 children, I needed to be at home.
    Reaching100K

Answer by Reaching100K at 6:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Is there any reason he can't take his sales skills into another area? Business to business sales maybe rather than consumer sales. I've worked on commission. It is much easier when it is the second income. Then you can just put it ALL into savings. Actually you might want to try deposting the check all jnto savings and then just taking the minimum you need from savings everyweek. Then you don't know if it is coming from his most recent pay or from previous earnings. That would be much easier than trying to figure out how much is "left" at the end of the week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Have you thought about working from home? I work from home with a very reputable company and with the money you make from the company you could put in savings. I love what I do and the company that I work with. We have been listed in the Inc. 500 magazine and got the Blue Torch Award from the BBB and have been given the Hall of Fame award also! We are a very legitimate company that you can count on! With our company we offer you a free website, free training and also a free personal mentor to help you reach your financial goals. If you are interested in learning more go to www.workathomeunited.com/heathers and also, I do not sell, stock, or deliver anything!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Make sure you are putting at least 30% away in an account for taxes or it will overwhelm you at tax time. You may want to file taxes quarterly also to help. irs.gov will give you all the informaition you need for his 1099
    MamaWorking

Answer by MamaWorking at 12:11 AM on Aug. 5, 2009