is there anything specific i can do to increase my milk production?? I had plenty of milk to begin with but my baby is now 11 weeks old and my milk production is a lot less and i feel as if my baby isn't filling up....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Feed more often, pump after every feeding for about 10 min if that's not possible. If all else fails you can use fenugeek or drink mother's milk tea, or your doctor can prescribe a medicine. I cannot remember the name of the medicine my doctor gave me but my lactation consultation recommended it.

a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i think 11/12 weeks is also a slight growth (from my experience). My littlest one just went through a growth.

Since I feed her every 3-4hrs, I took one day and pumped every hour and a half. I did bottle all day (breastmilk, of course), but just pumped more often. This helped a lot.

Mine sleeps through the night, and if yours does.. you could try setting a 3am timer for pumping. I was out friday night, so I pumped every few hours... and now my milk is flowing like crazy.

And of course... drink more water
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 12:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sounds like a growth spurt is coming on mama. They are common around 3 months. The best way to tell if your baby is taking in enough is by doing diaper counts...keeping track of what is coming out. http://kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

Eating oatmeal and drinking plenty of water will help with production. Nurse, nurse, nurse.

The med the above PP is talking about is Reglan I believe...
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• A lot of moms at this point think they have a low supply when they don't. The ONLY true indication of a supply problem is a lack of wet dipes. If your'e changing 6-8 a day, your supply is FINE.

Drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We've got a resources forum with EVERY trick known to woman for increasing supply...plus tips on how to know when you really need to increase supply.

See you over there.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Nurse frequently (at least every 2 hours)
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009