anatomy ultrasound....girl or boy?

i had my anatomy scan done on friday but mu little one was sleeping and he/she is definately a heaving sleeper because no matter what the tech tried to do she was unable tell wake my little one up and get a view of whether the baby is a girl or a boy....
anyways when i told my mom about this, she responded that ..."if they couldn't tell the sex of the baby then it means that its a girl" (all excited).....thats what always happens......if it were a boy then u'd definately be able to tell.....is this true? have any of u had a similar experience?

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think that's true exactly. If the legs were crossed they wouldn't be able to see anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i drank a mtn dew before my u/s.... there was no doubt mine is a boy, he's like his daddy LOL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i would request another ultrasound.. dont assume anything. just cause you couldnt tell doesnt mean its a girl.. good luck hun.
    jannaboo

Answer by jannaboo at 12:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i had a few u/s due to gest. diabetes but at my 20 week apt to find the sex.. she would NOT show her goods forever and ever. i had another one done at 23 weeks and barely showed the goods till last minute!
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• That's not true. It depends on their position
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't think that 100% true. Sometimes the baby is in a position where the tech can't see anything at all and sometimes the umbillical cord can get confused for a penis as well. I would think though that there is more chance of them being wrong about a girl than being wrong about a boy. I am pregnant with a boy and there was no screwing that up that's for sure! Haha
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• the legs were crossed and the baby didn't want to move at all,,,,,,,she/he was really sleepy
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 12:14 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I drank an iced tea before mine. The tech kept calling her Wild Woman because she was moving around so much. LOL.

I definitely wouldn't be running out and buying a bunch of pink stuff, that's for sure. I don't really see why your mom thinks that means it's a girl.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh, another thing. I wanted a girl and I don't know if you care if it's a girl or boy or which you'd rather, but, If this were my mom I would tell her to keep her thoughts about it being a girl to herself. I would tell her, yes, I'd rather a girl, but if it's a boy, then I'll be happy, too, and I don't want you getting my hopes up and then I feel disappointment when a boy is born. If it is a boy, I don't want any negativity and I just want to feel happiness. I would tell her if she buys stuff to keep it gender neutral.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• LOL I had a french vanilla coffee (one of only 2 coffees during pregnancy) and these two were moving all over! There was NO doubt it was a boy and girl.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2009