Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I disiplen with out being mean!

Answer Question
 
mommy1010101

Asked by mommy1010101 at 12:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • well you just do it, don't yell just use a firm voice it might make you feel bad at first but do you really want a bad kid running around? GL
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • hug after a swat on the hand
    you love your kids if you discipline read Proverbs 1-4
    2mothershelpers

    Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • NO NO NO don't love on them after you disipline them, they'll keep doing the say thing over & over if you baby them after you tell them they are in trouble
    josiesmommy00

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • same* i need some sleep lol
    josiesmommy00

    Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Redirection. At such a young age, they aren't being bad they are just exploring and learning their boundaires. Corporal punishment is overly harsh for someone so young (or at all IMO!!), just tell them no (or NO if it's potentially dangerous) and redirect them to something that is acceptable. If you keep doing it and preventing the behavior they will eventually move on.. usually quicker than you will think.
    Seven07

    Answer by Seven07 at 12:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • And I've told my daughter No in a firm regular voice and she cried. I expelained why the No and hugged her. I don't have discipline problems with her.. in fact everyone that knows us knows that she is a very well-behaved although spirited 2 year old. She's 2 and she's like all other 2's... she has her moments.. she's very tenacious, but she does listen at least 75% of the time. The other 25% I don't blame her for "acting out", IMO it's better than I could ask for.
    Seven07

    Answer by Seven07 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Once your telling them NO they will assume your mean..lol but i think the best way is to be firm.. so they know when its tie to cut something. And also telling them why is a pretty good idea. good luck
    DesignDiva21

    Answer by DesignDiva21 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • My favorite resource to help with this is The Discipline Book by Dr. Sears - it addresses the different developmental stages that kids go through, and what they need during each stage. Knowing what your kids need and how they understand discipline really helps in making a plan that works. You don't want to raise kids who just respond to you out of fear, but rather you want to raise kids who learn to choose the right things for themselves because they know it's right. Smacking, yelling and being rigid may work for the short term (ie - might get them to stop a certain behavior), but it doesn't give them the tools to do the RIGHT thing.
    MamaSueCongdon

    Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • no matter what you do your gonna be "mean" . if i give my daughter a cookie, she asks for another one, if i say no, she says "your mean" it kind of hurts my feelings so i tell her "if i was mean i wouldnt have given u any cookies"
    mudgirl

    Answer by mudgirl at 4:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

  • Now someone has to bring religion into discipline?! Geez.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN