Is it safe to continue to breastfeed while your pregnant?

I am struggling with a decision to continue breastfeeding my eight month old and I'm possibly pregnant! I need some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its safe unless you are at risk for preterm labor. You do need to get LOTS of healthy food and nutrients if you are, because pregnancy and breastfeeding can be exhausting. If you aren't comfortable continuing, or are too tired, DO NOT feel guilty. But you can do it, you just have to get plenty of rest and good food. Be sure to ask your OB if there are any herbal supplements you can take to keep up supply. DO NOT use fenugreek or anything with fenugreek though. Medicinal doses can act as a uterine stimulant, which can set off contractions. Your best bet, to be honest, would be to get in LOTS of protein.
    But like I said, you know your body best. And if you feel the need to stop, do not feel guilty. Its a balancing act between you, your unborn, and your little one! If all else fails, talk to your doc or a lac consultant. Get some rest. If you are PG, you're gonna need it!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 1:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes it is safe, as long as you are not at risk for pre term labor. I know of many women who continue BF their first through out the entire pregnancy.
    Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 12:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's safe and you can nurse both once the baby is born. If you aren't pregnant it's best if you can wait until your baby is 2 or even 3 before trying to get pregnant. The World Health Organization is now recommending 3.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 1:11 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes, as long as you are not at risk for miscarriages or pre-term labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Katzmeow has it right. It's perfectly safe, unless your new pregnancy is high risk, and you are told otherwise. You do need to make sure that you eat nutrient-rich foods, and be sure to take a prenatal vitamin if you aren't already. Lots of women tandem nurse, which is nursing a child through another pregnancy and even while the baby is nursing, so if you have your heart set on nursing past age 1, go for it! Be aware, your milk can change flavors while you are pregnant, and your older child may reject your milk. This is normal, and not a sign of your milk being unsafe, just an aversion. Definitely get as much rest as you can! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2009