What senator said President Obama deserves credit for short term improvements?

Sen. ________ said in an interview aired Sunday that President Barack Obama should get "credit" for short-term improvements in the economy.

_____ told CNN's John King in an interview taped Friday for "State of the Union":

"I think you could say that it is a short-term improvement in the economy. And I'll be glad to give him credit for that. But the question that I think we should be asking are the long term consequences of this unprecedented debts and deficits — are they beneficial to the country? And I think the answer is no."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25699.html#ixzz0N5rRPGL1

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• John McCain, (R), Arizona.

But you have to give full disclosure on this. The quote:

"Well, I think it's very clear that the stimulus has had some effect. What I worry more than anything about is the long-term effects because we are committing generational theft. We have put trillions of additional debt on future generations of Americans and there is no one that I know that sees a way out of it that in the words of the congressional budget office and others it is quote unsustainable. I think it's pretty clear if you pump trillions of dollars into the economy, you will see some recovery. But the long-term consequences, I think, are going to be unfortunately devastating unless we do something about it. "

I had to write this story this evening. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• umm, why are ppl just now realizing John McCain is right about things...it's a little late now :o(
    Gemmi280

Answer by Gemmi280 at 7:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

Because they got all their election news from The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live. Now that it's summer hiatus rerun season they accidentally watch real news once in a while.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• What is missing is that McCain's party put us into a big hole already when they authorized an unethical war in Iraq. Where is the concern over the long-term fiscal impact of that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

Hmmm and how many of those who voted FOR the war were democrats. You seem blinded by that tiny little fact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• full disclosure on a quote?

are you kidding me? it's so much better to take things out of context to fit your agenda! you're obviously a hater!!! lol

..............sarcasm....................
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

You mean how many Dems voted to authorize after being misled?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Let me count the ways.......... How many times Obama has misled Americans.... He's got no excuse. Bush was given the information by our CIA and other foreign branches. It was all he had to go on. Not like he made it up. Bush haters will never believe the truth just as the Obama lovers will watch Obama send our country down in flames and still say he's doing a good job.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Where is the concern over the long-term fiscal impact of that?

There was no real long term impact from it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

Oh? I suppose the war was paid for free and clear and in no way related to the deficit Obama inherited. I suppose there are no on-going expenses to soldiers who were seriously injured over there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009