Illogical fears? Is this normal?

Ever since my son was born I have had these crazy, irrational fears that I am going to lose him and his father in some tragedy. Every time I hear about a child on the news or see even part of a movie where there's death in it, I just cry, and I'm up all night with this fear that I only have a few years with them. I'm terrified that something awful is going to happen. I know that I can't keep thinking in fear, that I have to be grateful for what we have and feel joy and peace and blah blah blah, but I can't help it. Considering that I always had the same fear about my mother, who was just diagnosed with cancer, I was just wondering: Is this a normal "mommy" thing? To be so afraid that something tragic will happen that you can't help but cry at the thought? How do you calm yourself??

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 1:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's a mommy thing. You just have that instinct to protect your child. I am the same way, I used to have nightmares starting when I got pregnant, and now I freak out if he's out of my sight or a couple feet in front of me. I cant watch tv shows that show kids getting hurt or killed or even watch the news about something like that without crying. I think its normal really, you just want your kids and family to be safe.
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 1:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If the fears eventually lessen, then it's normal. If they grow and begin to affect your daily life and level of function, then it's no longer normal and you need to get some help. Just keep an eye on yourself, make sure your fears aren't impacting how you live your life.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2009