Why are you your religion?

Were you born into a family with that religion and it stuck? Did you convert at marriage? Is there a particular belief that you connect with? Why are you what you are? (Please be nice!) :-)

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 2:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am what I am because it is what makes sense to me. Everything fits into place and while I may not have all the answers it's okay because I have understanding.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Christianity did not answer my questions or bring me peace. I never knew there was a name for what I was feeling till I found Paganism.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No I was not raised in the church and I became a Christian when I was 19 at a time of my life when I felt worthless and unloved. Jesus found me in that place and His love came after I asked if He loved me! I repented and entered in my walk with Him and that was 25 yrs ago.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:19 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am what i am cause its not about a religion its about a relionship with my Lord Jesus Chirst.. I was raised in a Christian home part of my childhood as I got older i went into the world and sinned but I came back to the Lord he is a great God Thank you Jesus... I would never want to die not knowing Jesus as my savior and ask him to forgive me of my sins...
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Wow, neat answers :-)
    My mother was presbyterian and my dad was catholic. When they got married my mom signed a paper stating she would raise all of her kids catholic. Then, she converted to catholicism, it ended up making more sense to her because she was actually taught all the rationale etc. Then, the 2nd what-ever-its-called (can you tell i'm beat? lol) during Vietnam changed everything around. When my dad got back, he couldn't stand the changes. So, although I was raised catholic, it wasn't a huge part of my life. Went to a methodist church camp, was confirmed catholic, and practice an Earth-based spiritual path today. Was trying to determine what to do with our son- my boyfriend doesn't have a religion, I don't have a church, and I want to expose him to everything! Thanks for the input, keep sharing, I'm interested :-)
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:59 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was born into a family of believing christians. I was NOT born a christian. Thats not possible, but I have a family legacy of following Christ and I feel SUPER lucky to have that. My family and extended family down to my great grandparents were all lovers of God and doers of his Word. I am a christian and I follow Christ because its real to me. Having family that live it out in front of you and MAKE it work in their life is a big part of it. How hard would it be if my parents preached God to me, but yelled at one another, were alcoholics, couldnt keep money, were in constant turmoil, in jail and I had to be the adult all the time. I wouldnt likely listen to anything they say, but my parents love God, they are both pastors, and their home is filled with Peace. I can walk into the house and hear worship music playing, their money is in order, they are good business people. It speaks to me. Thats how I know God is real.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was never indoctrinated into any religion.  Atheism makes the most logical sense to me and I've lived my godless life quite happily.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was raised Christian. However Christianity never made any sense to me, even as a small child. My beliefs have never changed however I had to wait til I was grown to practice. I am an Eclectic Pagan Witch. It just make sence.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am a Christian of the Baptist variety. My parents did take me to church when I was younger. There were periods when we went faithfully, and there were others when went sporadically, and there were still others when we didn't go at all. So I don't think I was BORN into my religion. My husband was a Christian when we married, but he didn't attend church. It wasn't until the death of his father that we realized that we had worked on everything in our marriage and had a good and strong marriage, but something was missing. It was God. Because we were seeking to fill a void, we decided to attend the church of our son's best friend, and I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior and was baptized. My children have since experienced the same. Christianity is a religion, but Christianity is far more than that. It is a relationship. God created us for His pleasure; He wants a relationship with each of us.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was raised in the Christian faith, but encouraged to question and develop my own beliefs. My mother cared more about encouraging a passion for God and understanding than she did about indoctrinating us or assimilating us into the church.

This upbringing allowed me to study and believe however I chose, which led to my faith in Christian Universalism.

I am a Christian Universalist because all of my study and conviction, and my relationship with God make it the most sensible thing to me.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2009