how do i know if my baby is full when i breastfeed her?

its just that she starts falling asleep and just begins to give 3 little sucks and i don't see she is swalloing, maybe that is getting me into thinking i don't make enough milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Usually they will just stop sucking. I wasn't able to breastfeed so I don't know but thats how it is with a bottle. Just my guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My daughter will either stop sucking, roll over, unlatch or fall asleep when she is full. if you think your baby isnt eating enough, discuss it with their pediatrician. Thy can look over your childs weight gain with you and go from there. :)
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:44 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i bet she would cry if she was still hungry. thats what mine does when the milk runs out.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 4:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i agree with momnbabygirl, she will stop eating when she is done. babies love to suck, so often a baby will suck when they dont want to eat, simply because they enjoy the whole experience. id say your baby just loves being with you and nursing.
    katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 5:06 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if you dont give suplimentry bottles and feed on demand, its incredibly unlikely that your supply isnt enough for her. count diapers if you are worried, thats the only reliable method to see if she is getting enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Some babies fall asleep without getting a full feeding. With mine, I never let them breastfeed to sleep. I would do everything I could to keep them awake during the feeding and directly after - rubbing them, taking off their clothes so they weren't too warm, etc. I had mine on a fairly regular schedule, which followed the feed - wake time - sleep - feed schedule during the day. If she's falling asleep as soon as she gets to the breast, she may just be looking for comfort. You didn't mention how old your baby is, I would recommend keeping her awake as long as possible so she gets a full tummy. But generally after a few weeks, babies will stay awake long enough to fill up.

Answer by missanc at 8:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• SO what you really want to knwo is how to tell if supply is low? Count diapers in 24 hours. If you baby has 6-8 wet or messy with a REALLY wet being 2 diapers your baby is getting enough and your supply is fine. BF babies will nurse even after they are no longer sucking hard enough to get milk, its called non-nutritive sucking and good for supply and good to comfort baby. Never unlatch a baby from the breast, even to change sides, let baby let go then switch or stop nursing. Your breasts are NEVER empty, they are like a factory as milk is taken out more comes in, if the milk is not removed the factory slows down or even stops. WHen a baby has a growth spurt and nurses more the body knows to make more.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009