ok, would you rather a pregnant woman continue to smoke if it helped her keep her mental health, or would u rather see her quit even if the stress it would cause would cause her personal and work life to struggle.

I have a friend who recently got pregnant, she is a teacher, in a VERY rocky relationship, stressed beyond words, adn VERY deppressed.
Now she is stressing about the smoking situation, she wants to quit because she knows its best, but doesnt want to because she knows the stress could cause more harm than good-
she is suffering from depression, and since getting pregnant had to be taken off her meds, she is possibly getting a divorce, and due to start teaching again in less than a month.
I told her that although I dont agree with my own advice, I would rather see her mental health ok, and take the small risk of preterm labor or low birth weight, than see her go off the deep end and loose her job, or freak out, or worse.
Any suggestions, and how do U feel about the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think she sounds like she's hanging onto excuses to keep smoking. Its poison. Why would anybody NEED it when pregnant. Tell her to fall in love with carrot sticks or sunflower seeds. Helped me quit
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 3:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I smoked with 2 of my baby's and they were full term and healthy. Yeah its not the best thing to keep smoking but people can do many worse things like drink alcohol, do drugs, ect. If I was under that kinda stress I would continue to smoke.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree if it will help her that severe then keep doing it.. even thought I don't agree with it. Has she tried something else first before she kepted smoking. LIke yoga or exercising. Its amazing how great you feel after. Or even counciling or get into a hobby that takes her mind of stress. Just wondering waht else she has tried to stay calm and relax?
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 3:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OP HERE-
    yes she sees a doctor for her depression, and also a marrage councler, we take a yoga class together.
    we have tried to help her, and she has tried to help herself, and feels VERY guilty about the smoking, which is causing more stress.
    So I guess, I am trying to justify reasons for her to continue, which I shouldnt be doing, and I no that-
    But I don't want too see her suffer anymore than she is, but I dont want to see baby suffer either, ya know?
    I care a lot for this person, and her unborn, but I no she needs SOMETHING to help her throu this, because obviously, me, a doctor, yoga, and eating isnt helping.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I think the first poster said it very well. Addicts love excuses. A pregnant woman has no right to do that to her child's body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would encourage her to at least cut down on smoking. Although I do not agree with smoking during pregnancy, there are worse things she could do.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 3:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if she is stressing, imagine what it would be like when she gets cut off from the cigarettes, she'll stress even more.. help her cut down some. so that it's not full blown, and yet still enough to help her calm her nerves. it's not good for a pregnant woman to quit cold turkey in the middle of the pregnancy
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 4:04 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, let's say the baby is born pre-term with a low birth weight. This can lead to a lifetime of problems. If she thinks she's stressed down, imagine her going through everything she's going through now as well as a baby in NICU and dealing with constant health problems with that child for the next 18 years.

Be more stressed for a few months, or risk the possibility of being more stressed for the rest of your life. I'd go with the few months personally. And I was a smoker when I became pregnant. I quit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yeah, I have been a smoker for years and I will not post anon because I am telling you this. It is REALLY hard especially when you are in a bad relationship. I did cut down significantly while I was pregnant and stopped the last 2 months but that is no excuse. My son was born healthy and happy. I have no really good advice without sounding like a hypocrite. As soon as I saw my belly getting bigger I realized that I was changing physically because I had a baby inside me! DUH! But the habit is something I kept from many ppl. Some of us who get pregnant while in a bad relationship kind of deny it for a while if you know what I mean....IDK, I want to say I understand but everyone has their own decisions.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 5:08 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I smoked my whole pregnancy and my son turned out fine
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 5:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2009