would you buy a used breast pump?

i saw a Medela breast pump on sale on ebay for like 20 dollars. Would you use a used breast pump?

loves_her_baby

Asked by loves_her_baby at 4:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i bought a new one cause it was cheap like $40 at fred meyer. but i saw one of those super fancy $300 ones at a garage sale and it was only $15. i bet those fancy ones r way better, mine sucks. so i guess if you sterilize all the peices in boiling water? if youre gonna buy a used one make sure its really nice.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 4:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was given a hand me down Medela pump by a friend and just bought all new parts. It's just the motor that you will be using that's used. They sell all the parts for it at babies r us type stores. For 20 bux, I would get it.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 5:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No! That's just me though. I am sure it would be fine if you sanitize it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• At $20, yes!

Would you rent one from the hospital? Same thing. You just need to make sure you sanatize it and buy and replacement parts that may not be sanatizable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes, you just have to check how it works. Some of them have the milk go through the mechanical parts and you can't really sterilize them. Most of them the milk does not and they are easy to clean and sterilize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• For sure, just buy replacement parts. You can buy them direct form the medela website. I have recieved a hand me down from my aunt, and since it was family, I didn't owrry about new parts, just sterilized everything. but since it is a stranger I would get new parts.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 10:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would! Especially a Medela! That particular brand makes steam sterilizer bags you put in the microwave (of course you could always just boil them!). You want to make sure you either sterilize the breast shields, valves and membranes...or just buy replacements.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If it's something like a Pump In Style that's a motor only and no used parts would be touching your milk or skin, yes. You would buy new cups and tubing anyway.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• the pump itself does not have an intake for milk or anything that can be transferred to your milk bottles, as long as its stored properly. I used the hosptial pump, and got to see how it works. The pump itself does not make contact with breast milk. What the nurse did give me though, was a sterile bag of accesories -- the breast shield, and the bottles, etc. So, if you find a cheap pump on ebay, get it, wash an removeable parts, and wipe the whole thing down with disinfectant (just like I hope you'd wash a phone, or something you'd be touching or wearing that's used). Then, get yourself some accesories at walmart -- the breast shield, and some bottles, etc that work with it. That will give you the best of both worlds. it's not as cheap as using a completely used system, but it's still cheaper than buying the pump mechanism yourself. That's what I'd do.
    LilySchey

Answer by LilySchey at 12:03 AM on Jan. 5, 2010