Any help / suggestions for blending a family with 4 boys in the house?

The oldest is my step and he likes to gang up on my oldest biological son with my twins. I would like them all to get along, yet not interfere in a natural part of growing up. There is no violence it is all mental stuff.

josi080808

Asked by josi080808 at 4:41 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Good luck - my mom had three including me and my stepdad had two, all 5 of us were within 7 years. My bio brother and my stepbrother that were 8 months apart had some serious competition issues throughout school and still are not close to this day - we're all in our 30s. I would just continue to stress everyone's positives, try to minimize the negatives and hope for the best. It's very hard!

Answer by missanc at 9:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You don't say how old they are.  I've heard the book Siblings Without Rivalry isgood.  http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=5&page=2    See the review and look at the other sibling books.

I would try to find projects that they can work on together.  Building a model car, putting together a puzzle, building a clubhouse.  As you see them working together let them know how nice it is to see them work together .  You might also like The Big Book of Team Building Games. http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=17&page=2

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• When something is going on you need to think about if we were a "normal" family would this still happen? Also just treat and discipline everyone the same. Find things they all like....haha easier said than done! we play a lot of family games and the rules of those teach us to take turns and respect in real life.
    JDubs76

Answer by JDubs76 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• In some situations, regardless if they are step or not, there's rivalry but parents have to take a strong approach and handle the situation delicately and precisely, effective and continuously until it has been resolved...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2009