Should my four month old sleep on his belly even if he can roll over both ways?

My four month old is normally a great sleeper. We bedshare and he has slept on his side since he was three weeks old and could get that way himself. Well the last couple of days the only way I can get him down for naps is to lay him on my lap and rub his back, but when he falls asleep and I move him to bed he wakes up... unless I put him on his tummy, but then I can't leave him because I know babies shouldnt sleep on the belly and I get all paranoid. I guess it wouldnt bother me so much if he were in his crib, but I took that down a while ago because it was pointless and taking up space in the bedroom.

He can roll both ways now and is on the verge of crawling so Im going to put the crib up again soon (once I find the space for it in our efficiency apartment lol)... But in the meantime, is this okay?

At night he is still on his side, I wont allow him on his belly when Im in bed too!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once a baby can roll both ways, they can sleep on their tummies.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have a 4 month old too and wants to sleep on her side all the time. I put her to sleep that way but I move her and put a weighted blanket over her and she seems to do ok with that. It's the weight that she accepts. Yeah, I have a hard time letting her sleep on her stomache. And wow! he can flip over already..mine still on her back all the time and can't roll yet.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:21 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Let him sleep how he's comfortable! How would you like it if you wanted to sleep in a certain position and someone kept moving you from where you were comfortable!?

If you're "paranoid" about SIDS, keep in mind that babies die of SIDS on their backs (where they also can choke on their spit up), on their sides, with blankets, without blankets, with toys without toys, with bumpers, without bumpers, etc.

Let him sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I have been letting my son sleep on his belly for a long time now. He is 6 months and has been doing that since he was 2 months old. If he is rolling over he will end up how he wants. But it is fine to put him on his belly
    victoriak12708

Answer by victoriak12708 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if it was a hard flat surface then I would let him sleep on his tummy. If it was a very soft cushiony surface I would try a pack n play? It would be smaller then a crib and could be folded up but at least he could sleep on his tummy happily. (I let my baby sleep on his stomach from day 1, all I see are stats about how SIDS is reduced by back sleep NOT all deaths and SIDS is only a portion of infant death, I want to see studies that prove that TOTAL death (including things like choking on spit up) is reduced by back sleep, also I do totally buy into the fact that soft surfaces and tummy sleep would increase SIDS since the best explanation I have heard of for SIDS is that the baby creates a carbon dioxide pocket by its mouth and basically suffocates but that would only happen if the surface was very soft and cushiony....)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 2:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009