Will $50-$500 co-payment (depending on your health insurance) stop unnecessary visits to the emergency room?

Of course...if you are admitted to the hospital these fees are waived.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "I had to go to the ER last weekend after having my wisdom teeth out. My head was hurting so bad and I had alot of pressure on my eyes even though I was on pain pills. I could not stand to wait until morning to see a dr and they made me pay my 100 copay up front at the er. It really sucked becaue I really didn't have it and they said they would not wait to bill me for it. My checking account is minus 4 bucks now . "

Unfortunately a lot of places are trying to do that now. However, if you really needed care they should have seen you anyway without the copay. I think that kind of tactic by hospitals is pathetic. However, if you'd been a medicaid patient you wouldn't have had to deal with all of that crap. It's so frustrating because I know hospitals hare having a hard time collecting payment for ER visits, but still... if a person is in that much pain...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Probably will, but it would also lead to people trying to diagnose themselves, which is a very dangerous proposition. "Am I really having a heart attack or is it just anxiety? Can't afford that co-pay if it's just anxiety. I'll wait and see."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• anon that's right! OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't see how it would prevent people from going more than they do now. Lots of people don't go becuase they don't have insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son had a cold. The nurse at school suggested to take him to the hospital to rule out the H1N1 flu. So we went to the emergency room. It was nothing but still I don't think it makes sense to have to pay for an emergency if you have insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I wonder if they are trying to get people to use urgent care more to free up ER spaces?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Medicare only pays 80%. Obama care will likely only pay 80% as well.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:47 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• anon: what's "urgent care"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• People are always billed for hospital care, many just don't pay it Even people with Ins would pay in that range because of their copay or coinsurance. It's the same either way. I think it might help a bit though. I read on here about some mom who had a bug bite that swelled and even though she had a dr. and wasn't having major allergic reactions she went to the ER. That is the kind of thing that raises our costs. A higher deductable that is only applicable if you don't get admitted sounds good to me.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Urgent care handles the emergencies that aren't necessarily life threatening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009