Baby Food Question?

When do you stop feeding them baby food and giving them only adult food? My daughter is almost 9 months old and wants everything mommy and daddy eats... so far she has ate almost everything we ate but I still give her baby food too. When do I stop the baby food all together and move on to solid foods?

MrsStanley22

Asked by MrsStanley22 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did it when my DD was 14 months old she is doing great she only had 4 teeth by her first b-day so i just waited it out. If she's ready then go for it your the parents only you know your child inside and out. I have to tell you it's so nice to only have to make one meal..
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• until age one, most nutrition needs to come from breastmilk (or formula). you should be avoiding allergy trigger foods, like wheat, soy, dairy, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:09 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I did around 11 months. She was eating well, didn't have any teeth though! So I tried the gerber meals. She loved them and they were very soft so easy to chew. When day care saw I was giving her those, they offered to feed her from the kitchen if the food seemed appropriate. So we did that. She loved it and did well with the foods. Once I moved up a stage, she wouldn't eat the previous stage food because it was too soft. She just liked chew I guess. Even now she'll eat apple sauce and pudding sometimes, but perfers chunks of food.

So I guess it just depends on your child. Their gums are strong so not having teeth doesn't mean they can't eat. But do watch for hot dogs and grapes or other skinned foods that may need teeth to break the skin. Just make sure she's still getting enough formula or breastmilk to get the bulk of the nutients she needs and that the food is healthy for her and easy to chew/digest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My youngest stopped eating baby food at 9 months (other then an occasional dessert one). She started eating table food at 7 1/2 months (self fed) and by 8 1/2 months she was almost 100% feeding herself table food (with her bottles in between). A month later she was refusing baby food. She wanted to feed herself.
    I gave up on baby food between 9 and 11 months with all of my kids. I hated that stage.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If she is eating from your plate, chewing pretty well stop now. Most kids don't want bland baby food once they taste real food. If she is eating pretty much everything now with no tummy trouble then give her table food. I would watch allergy triggers such as chocolate, strawberries, peanutbutter etc. Oh and never give honey to anyone under 1.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:32 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Emi only gets pureed pears and sweet potato. Everything else is "real" food. And only the pears are jarred.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son was on all tablefood and 2% milk at 8 months old. He was never a big babyfood eater, I just mashed up carrots, peas, etc for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009