Do/Did your kids get along when they were toddlers?

I have noticed jealous tendecies in my 2.5 year old. All normal, I'm sure. She's quick to snatch a toy from my 7 month old's hand even if the toy belongs to my 7 month old, and now she's at the age where if you take something from her she'll cry. It's kinda funny in a way, watching the sibling rivalry already at play at 7 months, but at the same time I feel bad and I don't want it to turn into something huge later in life. Also, if my 2 year old is doing anything of interest to my 7 month old, she'll follow her around the house and my older one will either ignore her or yell at her to "go away!". I know I can't force acceptance of play on my older one, but she'll share toys with other kids and other adults, just not her little sister! I was an only child so I don't know how this stuff works. Any advice?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• TODDLERS RULES OF OWNERSHIP
    If I like it, it's mine.
    If it's in my hand, it's mine.
    If I can take it from you, it's mine.
    If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
    If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
    If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
    If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
    If I think it's mine, it's mine.
    If it's yours and I steal it, it's mine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My boys are only 13 months apart so the ages are different than yours but my oldest acted the same way your daughter is until his brother really starting walking and was able to communicate himself. That is when I noticed the change in behavior and more acceptance of my older one. Now they play great together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My boys are 19 mo apart and there was very little rivalry when they were little. I think its because I paid extra attention to the older one when the younger one was born because I didn't want him to feel left out. I included him in everything. He helped with diaper changes, baths, I let him play with the baby's toys.... whatever I did with the baby he was right by my side. I hardly every told him not to touch the baby unless I thought he might hurt him. Even then I made sure I told him nicely so he wouldn't feel bad. He loved his little brother!! Now, is a completely different story!! They have both turned into very nice, but very different tweens. They are 10 and 12 now and bicker and fight constantly!! The 10 yr old is very athletic and bullheaded, the 12 yr old is very laid back and into playing the guitar and loves rock music. I guess my advice is to do extra things with the older one, if your not already. and Good luck!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My oldest 3 are each a year apart and never had much jealousy. Just the younger two who are 13 months and that came mostly from the youngest and was entirely over Mommy. Like if I was holding my son (at, say, 2 years old) then my youngest (who was 1) would have a fit until I held her, too. Toys, though...they never really fought much over that stuff. Probably because I would take it away when they did because I didn't want to listen to it. They actually got along great as toddlers. They are 9, almost 8 and almost 7 now and fight constantly. They all share one room and they fight over who is going to clean it, who got what toys out. The girls (the 9yo and 6yo) fight over their Barbies and stuff. And all 3 fight over the Legos. Add in my 3yo and they drive me nuts. But as toddlers...they all got along fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:00 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I only have one but my niece is 13 months younger than my son and they fought all the time as toddlers, actually they are 12 and 13 and still fight all the time. They are just too close in age and were raised more like brother and sister than cousins.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 3, 2009