Potty training and redness

When I gave my daughter (2 years) a bath the other day I thought we she bleeding for a second! She was very bright red on her vagina. I was concerned at first that maybe something had happened, but I think it's a combination of her wanting to play with herself and how she wipes. She flings her hand/wipe down hard on herself then rips it upward. I've used aquaphor and the redness is going away. And I'm trying to teach her to pat her peepee instead of wiping it. It doesn't seem to hurt her to pee, so I doubt it's an infection. She's in panties during the day and pull ups at night. I suppose those could be irratating her, too.

My question is, how did you teach your kids to wipe gently? And are there any other reasons why she might be so red? Is this normal around this age with learning to do a bunch of new things/not wiping well/etc.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't have a problem with my kids not wiping gently, of course I only have one girl so it wasn't an issue; but you do need to teach her to only wipe from front to back - that can cause infection.

Answer by missanc at 9:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• They don't really need to wipe. You can teach her to take a wad of toliet paper and dab herself once to dry that way you don't have to worry about redness or infection.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 12:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• She has this amazing ability to pee all over herself and insists on wiping her self. I tell her to pat and then I go behind her and make sure to wipe off the drippings as it runs down her leg and usually is on her bottom. But she has a fit if she can't wipe first. Ugg, toddler independence! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009