New mom, is about to be a new sister!?

Hey ladies, I'm 19 and just had my first child. My mother also had me very young and is only 35. My son just turned 5, and yesterday I found out I'm going to be an older sister for the first time. I don't know why this is hitting me so hard, but all of a sudden.. I feel really depressed. I feel like, now that I've moved on, I'm not going to be a part of them anymore once the new baby is here. Like, I'll be more of an aunt, than a sister. I don't want that. I know I should act more adult about this, but I just can't quite grasp it. My parents weren't even sure about keeping the child, until yesterday. I don't want to tell them how I feel and have them change their minds. Help?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:22 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ok yes your a first time mom FIVE years ago. You are gonna be a big sister and your son is gonna have an uncle or aunt younger then him which is just fine he can teach the baby stuff and it will all work out in the end. Keep your head up and be there for your mom and maybe you and your mom need to have a heart to heart about this and let her know how you are feeling. Your mom and you are most like more like sisters then mother and daughter right? I have to hand it to you and your mother for raiseing babys at such a young age you were a mother at 14-15 god bless you oh may your mother was 14-15 also?? I give it to you both.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• So you make sure you're more apart of things. Go over there as often as possible and spend time with them. Once the baby is older you'll be able to take him/her places and do things with them like a big sister. Your son could have a close relationship with his aunt/uncle. I'm not trying to bash you, but I'm going to be honest...your concerns sound very selfish, and it's not a choice for you to make. Your an adult and I can't imagine what your parents are feeling having you as an adult and starting your own family and now they are starting all over again. I'm sure it's hard for them and they don't need you adding stress to the situation because your afraid of feeling left out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Her son is 5 MONTHS old btw, looked at her profile.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Think about how much fun it could be. You just had your baby and now you can experience the things you went through with your mom as she's going through them, which could bring you even closer. Once the baby is born you'll be there to experience all of the "firsts" and have more of an appreciation for things like that because you are going through it now with your son. Share advice, stories, go shopping together...how exciting could this be??!! And yes once the baby is older you'll be right there, as the big sister, to do things with it or offer advice and relate to them as your parents can't but you can in a unique way because you already grew up with them. Share your concerns with your mom, but be careful how you do it because I do agree that this could be hard on them right now and they don't really need added stress, but try looking at the situation in a positive light.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• WHEN I SAID5, I MEANT 5 MONTHS! SORRY LADIES!!!! :)
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 9:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• was in the exact situation, my stepdaughter (we were are close as real mother/daughter), was 19, and I was having a baby(mine and hubby's first, and I was only 25 at the time), she became very distant and even admitted jealousy/resentment, it has taken years for our relationship to get back to what it was, but she has come around and adores her little sister (now 5 yrs old), and sd is now 24, your feelings are understandable
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 12:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009