"Why not get on medicaid?"

My son was on medicaid for the first year of his life. Well, his coverage expired on June 30th and it's been 3 months since I've put my application in. Still no answer! I went ahead and got a plan that I could afford and his dad got on my case saying, "Why don't you get on medicaid? It's free. If they don't answer, keep on bugging them." I've called a couple of times and all they do is say that my application is "pending."

Did I do the right thing and buy him insurance? It's almost a relief I did since my son is coming down with something that may require medication.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 9:25 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The only thing is that since he is insured now I believe he is no longer eligible for medicaid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If you can afford insurance, why would you be applying for medicaid? That's not there as a "freebie," it's there for people that can't afford regular insurance!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "The only thing is that since he is insured now I believe he is no longer eligible for medicaid. "

Actually you'd be very surprised. I was on my dad's insurance but it didn't cover my pregnancy since the hospital was out of network and I was still approved of medicaid and to this day, I still have his insurance.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:29 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "If you can afford insurance, why would you be applying for medicaid? That's not there as a "freebie," it's there for people that can't afford regular insurance! "

I know. Medicaid here is kind of messed up. My friend who was on it had problems. I had medicaid because I went to school full time and had to quit working.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The important thing is he is covered in case anything happens. I've heard of people having insurance and medicade and the two working together to cover costs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If I do get approved for medicaid, I will simply tell them he is on a private insurance. My friend has BC/BS and medicaid on her daughter because her private insurance is "minimal coverage." The reason for doing this is because private insurance is better in the long run. Medicaid is *very* particular on what they cover. Another friend of mine's baby dad and her son need prescriptions and have to pay out of pocket because medicaid simply does not cover it. Another reason why I want to have medicaid to partially help is because my son may need to go to a dentist and they cover that. So whoever said you can't get medicaid if you have insurance, is not telling the truth. They even ask on the application if you have insurance.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son has autism and gets medicaid due to his diagnosis. We also have private insurance for him, medical and dental. The private insurance pays what they will and then medicaid picks up the copays and non insurance covered charges, in most cases.

Answer by missanc at 9:45 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, where I live, you can't have medicaid AND private insurance. And the medicaid here covers absolutely everything, with children anyway they are not selective at all. My children where all on medicaid for the first year and I didn't have to pay a penny out of pocket for anything and it specifically states on the application that they will not cover anybody who is on private insurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I dont know how medicaid works but i do think that it is good that you have some insurance for him. Even if that is just temporary till you can get the medicaid. But you will have to keep bugging them or things will never happen.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009