I’m 30 years old my sister is 37 and we still have sibling rivalry going go on. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem and how bad it was.

Draydensmom7708

Asked by Draydensmom7708 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• um no im 26 and more of an adult to care if someone has something i want and vice versa.. .. i think you both are not happy in your lives if you have to compete..vs just being happy for each other and yourselves
    hottietottie455

Answer by hottietottie455 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My hubby and his brother do and they are 34 and 42! The majority of it stems from his brother so he has as little to do with him as possible. It's ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Just stop it. Refuse to participate in her silly games. If she tries to one up you, let her. Once she realizes you're not going to play anymore, the desire to compete will be gone.

Answer by missanc at 9:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My hubby's brother does against him. My hubby takes no part in it but his brother is always acting snotty or rude towards anything my hubby gets. For instance My hubby's brother has 4 kids and all boys, So when I got preggo the first thing his brother said to us was"it better not be a girl" He wanted a girl and got all boys and of course it is a girl and he acted all hateful over it (as if we had a choice LOL) I am glad My hubby doesn't take any part in it and just ignores his brothers jealous rude comments.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• There is a hint of sibling rivalry between me and my sis, but no to the point where we fight. I think it comes more from her husband. It seems like they are always competing with us which is funny because we don't have much! Examples: a couple years ago, I wanted to go to a concert in Vegas and I asked my mom if she would watch the kids if we went. Then my BIL told my mom if she watched their kids, they would take her to Vegas with them! Another time, my SO told him we were thinking of buying a minivan. Well I'll be darned if they didn't go buy one THAT SAME DAY! More recently, we bought a used SUV with a third row seat. My sister showed up this weekend with an SUV with a third row seat. It's kinda funny really.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm 22 and my sis is 38 and feels like she has to compete with me! I could care less, but she's jealous because I'm only 22, my home is paid for-she's renting; my car is paid off-she still owes 16K on hers; We can afford for me to be a SAHM, she has to work. SO and me are completely debt free and she is up to her butt in debt. She go's on lavish vaca's that she cant afford, and buys things that are out of her budget to try and keep up with me. I think it's very childish!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I am 37 and my brother is 32 and I can't stand him, never could. He is a loser and thinks he is entitled to everything and anything that he wants. He doesn't pay his child support, he doesn't see his 2 beautfiul daughters. He is disrespectful, an alcoholic and does nothing to change his ways because it is easier to be a loser than to get off his immature ass.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, I had been going to say yes, but reading all of your posts, I don't think we do. However, when me and my sis are together alone we are fine. If mom is around we bicker, but its all good naturedly, and its mostly an attention thing! Sad I know, but I spend so much time with mom and she is like my best friend. Sis sees her fairly often but they are to much alike. I don't feel like we have any rivalry because we are at different places in our lives and have made different decisions. Though someone did wonder if she were jealous of me, which I don't think she is, as a matter of fact I think she'd laugh at that idea! The only thing is she is TTC and I have two already, but I have the utmost faith she will have them eventually.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009