Why do doctor's.....

instead of trying to figure out what is wrong, just start writing prescriptions?

I have had very irregular cycles and instead of trying to figure out WHY my cycles are so irregular they are just guessing about different birth control! Depo made me bleed constantly. On the pill I bleed for the last 2-3 weeks of every pack of pills (meaning only 1-2 weeks a month without bleeding). Now the doctor wants me to get mirena? How about finding out WHY I am bleeding rather than using MORE artificial hormones. Maybe it's the stupid hormones causing the problems!

Why, went women have irregular bleeding, do doctor first go to birth control before testing and checking for other problems?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Health

• Because it is the easy way out. I begged 4 doctors to test my thyroid levels and they all said no because I was too young and handed me a script for a different antidepressant because of course that was what was making my hair fall out along with the emotional symptoms too!! I have a family history of thyroid disease and the 5th doctor the first words out of his mouth was "why hasn't any one tested your thryoid?" I could have kissed the man! My advice is find a new doctor and if that one doesn't help another one etc.

Oh and as for the bleeding and them handing out scripts you don't have to take the scripts and can easily go off all the hormones and see if your bleeding stops. The Depo can take up to 12 months to be completely out of yours system so get off everything and try it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:23 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Possibly because dealing with the birth control is the easiest. If that doesn't work then go to blood work and other tests?

Answer by Bmat at 10:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The shorter the office visit, the more patients the doctor can see and the more money the doctor earns.

If you feel that you are not getting quality service, find a new doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sometimes, your body needs extra hormones and that is why the doctor is trying different types of birth control. Also, a doctor is not god and is human just like anyone else. If you don't like what the doctor is suggesting, then TELL him/her. Doctor's are not mind readers and you can ask for tests to be ran, etc. If you don't like the doctor or their care, then find another doctor. It is as simple as that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2009