What's your best advice for a 1st-time mom-to-be?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your intuition is your best tool, listen to it. Don't listen to dumb people. If in doubt research it yourself and use common sense.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My best advice is to be educated. Know what you are getting into. You will feel better about labor and delivery and you will have more control over the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• try to find the best in every moment- people will tell you it goes so fast- in the moment it may DRAG- like at 3am, but soon enough your little one will want nothing to do with you - so enjoy the "lump of need" as my husband refers to babies- for as long as they allow you to :)
    And LAUGH often
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sleep when the baby sleeps.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Take it one day at a time if you go to bed and the dishes need done dont sweat it they will be they're get your rest and focus on your baby ( I am not saying live like a pig lol) but if laundry needs done just do what you can do dont over do it and just when you think I cant do this no more Just look at your baby and it will make it all better if you are breast feeding take it slow things will work out and if you are bottle feeding make sure you get a good bottle like Playtex vent air or Dr Browns they really make a difference with a baby having gas Good Luck

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yup, Sleep now! Sleep when baby is sleeping, don't over do it with house chores, it will get done, enjoy every moment, laugh, smile, cry, don't stress too much it will just make things worse with the baby, she'll/he'll feel it. When people offer to help LET THEM and make sure each day you at least get 10 mins to yourself, you're gonna need it, GL & God Bless!
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My best advice is to not take everyone's advice to heart. I don't mean the moms on here or anything right now....just random people in public who want to put their two cents in on everything from what you've dressed your child in, to giving you greif about bottle/breastfeeding.....I think I've heard about 20 different remedies for teething, I've had people yell at me for not covering my baby up outside (when it was 90 degrees), and don't mind the constant "what a beautiful boy" when it's a girl, or "what a pretty girl" when it's a boy.....regardless of them being dressed in blue or pink. You know best, and if you don't know, ask someone you trust because we've all been there. They do grow up fast....my oldest is going on 7 and it still feels like I just had him yesterday. Take lots of pictures, and whenever you feel like crying just remember it'll get easier. One day he'll say "I love you mom" and it'll be worth it all...
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 10:36 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• The first 6 weeks are super duper hard, just know that it DOES get better after that...for me knowing there was light at the end of the tunnel helped immensely, I knew it wouldn't be that way forever. Give BFing a good shot, its so worth it. And during this time BEFORE the baby comes, eat out, sleep in, watch movies that YOU want to watch....pretty soon life will be upside down. And most important, enjoy your new baby, they grow so fast!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:55 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh, almost forgot the most important one...trust your instincts, don't rely so much on "experts" etc...don't stress about milestones, etc... you'll know what's right for your baby.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:57 AM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "Oh, almost forgot the most important one...trust your instincts, don't rely so much on "experts" etc...don't stress about milestones, etc... you'll know what's right for your baby."

I couldn't agree with this more. Also.. like everyone else has said.. sleep when you can and enjoy your little one. Also remember as they get a little older, accidents happen. The first time my lil one fell I freaked out.. now its an every day occurrence.. Oh and unless you are beating your children, or severely neglecting them, don't let anyone tell you you are a bad mother.

Definatly try BFing, but if you can't do it, for whatever reason.. don't beat yourself up. My first daughter wouldn't latch on at all, so she was formula fed... don't worry if that happens, because at least you gave it a shot!

And most importantly, NEVER be afraid to ask questions.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:37 AM on Aug. 3, 2009